Notices

Firestone = expensive liars

Old 10-07-2004, 06:54 PM
GSR4444

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Firestone = expensive liars

So as some of you may know, i sold my 95 gsr in early summer too a friend of mine. So this morning, he was driving to school, and the engine just stopped revving and turned off. So hes going to be late to school, so he calls for one of his parents to come take care of the car until the tow truck comes, etc... Unfortunately, his parents dont know anything about how cars work, or anything about japanese cars, so they take it to Firestone. Firestone says the problem is that the fuel pump dies (which i believe is reasonable), so they replace that for 90 dollars, but then they claim that it is necessary to do the 60k service (car had 59,xxx), so his parents, unknowledgable as they are, agree to it. The 60k service that they performed including the timing belt, water pump, and many things that i thought were 90k services. They also try to convince them that they need new tires, despite the fact that the current toyos were only 5k old. So my friend and i hear of this, and we show up at firestone to discuss what they did. Obviously they have no knowledge of japanese cars, because the mechanic tried to convice me that gsr = vtec with 4 doors, and ls = 2 door vtec. I tried to correct him, but he wasn't having it. I explained to him that the tires were only 5k old, and he said that they would put the old ones back on. Then they said that my friend needed a new valve cover gasket, claming that it leaked oil, but i explained to them that i spilt oil on it while filling it up with oil 2 days before. In conclusion, they ran up a $1500 bill for what should have just been a fuel pump replacement, as everything else had been previosly checked. They simply took advantage of a unknowledgable paren.
Old 10-07-2004, 07:15 PM
jr_kbad

I would've threatend to talk to the Better Business Burea unless they gave a serious discount for misleading a customer.
Old 10-07-2004, 08:04 PM
madhandles03
SC34 powered LS-T

This is nothing new, automotive shops have been doing this for years, taking advantage of unknowledgeable customers.
Old 10-08-2004, 04:20 AM
IrishBrewer

I would ask them to put in writing why they recommended the work they did. Then you have something to compare to the actual recommended maintenance requirements. With that you have something to show to BBB. First, I would talk to a manager and try to get a significant discount. If they do right by you, you're good. Otherwise, you take it further. This is something that you could also take to small claims court and if you have something in writing, it should be an open and shut case.
Old 10-08-2004, 07:07 AM
nc_mx_kid

All those shops are out to do is make MONEY BSing w/ unknowing people, especially females. That why I do all my oil changes and everything I can myself or try to get someone that knows to help me to prevent stuff from like that happening.
Old 10-08-2004, 08:37 AM
burgan_30

exactly; 3 weeks ago jiffy lube saw that my reservoir was empty and wanted to do a 50 dollar or so radiator flush. why recommend a flush when the da#% radiator itself might be leaking and in need of replacement? idiots and thieves.
Old 10-08-2004, 11:54 AM
WackyRicky
redoing the interior

I just checked Acura Service Manual and it clearly states that you won't need to replace timing belt and water pump until your car has 105k miles. (Unless of course, they fail before that)
I can scan it and send it to you if you want to use it as an evidence.
Old 10-09-2004, 08:18 AM
orangebarius

shops are always going to recommend unnecessary parts. you just have to tell them NO. i know in this situation that his parents didnt know, but they wont do any work unless u give them the OK. u gotta find a mechanic that you can trust. my father and i have been going to firestone for a while, so they know us and dont try to screw us. they always take me out to my car and show me the problem.
Old 10-10-2004, 03:07 PM
GSR4444

Originally Posted by WackyRicky
I just checked Acura Service Manual and it clearly states that you won't need to replace timing belt and water pump until your car has 105k miles. (Unless of course, they fail before that)
I can scan it and send it to you if you want to use it as an evidence.
please do. I just talked to my friend today, and he said that the car is running like crap anyways. So we are going to take it down there and see what is wrong. they claimed that it would "run better than ever", but instead it is being sluggish.
Old 10-11-2004, 03:49 AM
IrishBrewer

Originally Posted by GSR4444
please do. I just talked to my friend today, and he said that the car is running like crap anyways. So we are going to take it down there and see what is wrong. they claimed that it would "run better than ever", but instead it is being sluggish.

I would check to see that they got the timing belt installed with all of the cam and crankshaft gear marks properly aligned. The belt could be off a tooth causing the engine to run poorly. Sounds like they not only did an unnessary job, they did it poorly.