Notices

Head replacement question...

Old 10-07-2004, 05:59 PM
Importbuyer
Want to buy a lude

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Head replacement question...

Well,my mechanic seems to think that my valves or somthing is in need of adjustment,i thought it was a spun bearing or somthing,but its comming from top of motor,we checked the oil pressure,and its perfect.
Here's the problem,the instructions for adjusting the valves ect is pretty complicated,and seems to be a long job,so i was thinking about just replacing the head,what are my options in this?

If he makes the adjustments,and thats not the problems,its a bad rocker or somthing,i still have to pay for 3 hours of labor,at 60 bucks an hour,for nothing being done...so i figure replace the head...

on ebay i saw a listing ( http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...926598050&rd=1 ) for a b20b head,which he says will bolt directly to my b18a,he says specifically:

"B20b head, comes complete (rocker arms, cams, cam caps, bolts, valve cover, ext) an upgrade for the B18a motor in 91-93 LS integras. (the intake ports are quite a bit bigger than the b18a1 head."

Is this true,and would it provide any real gains???

Another listing for a : INTEGRA LS B18A B18B FULLY BUILT PORT AND POLISHED HEAD ( http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=7926748575 ) says that he had all this work done,with VERY little miles on it,but he refuses to disclose any approximate shipping price,or even to reply to emails as to a price,and also he doesnt say why he removed them,what happened...Specifically he says:

"This auction is for a slightly used Integra Ls fully built port and polised b18a head. The work was done by Dh-Racing out of california. This head is fully built with custom dual valve springs and titanium retainers. The valves have been swirled for maximum performance. The port work is still very clean with almost no wear and tear. Also included in this auction is a custom teal painted valve cover. This head was used for around 1500 miles. These head just port and ploised from dh-racing reatil for around $600 not including the upgraded valve train. I am relisting this due to an unpaying bidder. My loss is your gain.I never took it to the dyno to see how much horsepower that the engine made but it had to be alot because the car pulled really hard. I will only ship to the inner 48 states. Winning bidder to pay for all shipping, handling, and processing fees. I reserve the right to cancel this and any of my auctions at anytime. Thanks for looking and bidding. Please check my other auction for another great item. If you have any questions please email me at slimjimsc@yahoo.com. "

I can work on a car,and do many bolt on replacements,but engine internals are still a new area for me,WHAT DO I DO???

I figured im better off asking the pros than making a bad choice or getting ripped off,please help asap!!!ANY INFO!!!please dont let this be a dead post!
Old 10-07-2004, 06:00 PM
Importbuyer
Want to buy a lude

I dont have any real signifigant source of funds,so paying several hundred dollars for a full kit or whatnot isnt really an option,im just trying to get the car running right before i go with the larger more expensive mods,i plan on buying a different teg,and building it from the ground up...in the meantime,i need some help!thanks guys!
Old 10-07-2004, 06:02 PM
Importbuyer
Want to buy a lude

damn,i have a 92 integra,unknown what mods have been done,or what motor,or anything,says its an rs. I know the computer has probably been rechipped,since their is no rev limiter,but im not sure how exstensivly things have been modified.
Old 10-07-2004, 07:01 PM
ADRONICUS
www.ufc.com

Adjusting the valves is not hard bro, and a head will cost you far more. The valves are adjusted the same as when you install cams with a higher lift. Get your self a filler gauge. Jack the car up, pull off the drivers side tire and crank downward on your underdrive pulley to turn the motor over. When the firing order is in sequence and work your way down from the number 1 cylinder and use the filler gauge to slip between the adjusting screw and the rocker to get it back to the stock spec. That is not too hard.
Old 10-07-2004, 07:15 PM
Importbuyer
Want to buy a lude

Default not just that

its not just that it may need adjusting,i may need to buy new rockers,or it may be somthing else all togther,all we have pretty much pinpointed is that its from the top end,and it has a sound it make thru all rpms,but cant really be heard well until 1500 rpms...it sounds like my last car,which had a spun bearing...

Anyways,im basically asking if either of those ebay litings are a valid upgrade,or not worth the money or power?can the b20b head actually bold on,and what should i expect?the guy that had work done to his b18 head,and already replaced the internals,is that worth while?i dont want any downtime,and i dont have the spare time to waste doing it myself(right now)

If i just bought another damn head,pop one off,pop one on,no adjusting or replacing,im just wondering which is better?

I will know this comming week when i drop the car back off at the mechanics whats actually wrong with the valves or rockers or WHATEVER....
Old 10-08-2004, 03:57 AM
HatchVX
Driving a Turbo 2L Terror

when u get ur new head u gonna want to adjust the vavles on it too. If i were you try to adjust the vavle first, if that doesn't work then go with a new head. Go witht eh cheaper thing first then go to the more expensive. As for the head i do belive it is a direct bolt on, but dont take my word on it. U have to find out what timing belt to use and what head bolts to use. If ur putting on the new head u might as well get some ARP head studs. HIH