Notices

Power for FM Modulator

Old 09-28-2004, 07:25 AM
gsr2k

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power for FM Modulator

I posted this in the Audio forum a few days ago wiht no reply, so hopefully someone here will be able to help me.

Where can I patch in to a 12V power source near the stereo to provide power to an FM modulator? The connector is a bullet-style connector, but I haven't cracked open the dash board to see where I can connect this to.

Thanks
Old 09-28-2004, 08:55 AM
ISP James
DAMIMRED

whats an fm modulator?
Old 09-28-2004, 09:39 AM
TheOtherDave™
Apathy Kills

I'll make an exception in this case... I guess traffic in Audio / Security is down. h:
---
To get reliable 12V power, I'd run a power lead directly from the positive side battery clamp through the firewall to the modulator.

In the 94-01 Integra, there's a nice grommetted port in the firewall right behind the battery tray. Run your power lead right through the rubber plug to protect it from the metal edges. To make things easier, a commercial amp installation kit (like those available at Best Buy) will have a power lead pre-fabricated with a fuse holder installed. I'd start with that.

BE ABSOLUTELY SURE TO INSTALL A FUSE ON THIS LINE, just as you would do for an amplifier install.
I cannot stress this enough.
Failure to do so could result in a fire.
---
I assume this modulator is for an add-on CD changer?

:: HAN Integra FAQ: If, by some miracle, yours hasn't been stolen... check it out!
Old 09-28-2004, 09:44 AM
Epoch
CHRISTMASTIME IN IRAQ

Originally Posted by ISP James
whats an fm modulator?
Allows you to have a different input source (minidisc, ipod) be inputted over FM radio directly into your headunit...

Send us some pics of the unit so I can understand what you mean by "Bullet connector"
Old 09-28-2004, 10:49 AM
gsr2k

Originally Posted by NorCal DC4
I'll make an exception in this case... I guess traffic in Audio / Security is down. h:
Hey! I tried! Only 7 views, no responses.
https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/s...d.php?t=157486

I'd run a power lead directly from the positive side battery clamp through the firewall to the modulator.
I thought about this but I don't really need power when the car is off, so thought that there must be power down there somewhere that would be easier to get to. I'm not opposed to this, though, but just figured that it would be easier under the dash somewhere.

I assume this modulator is for an add-on CD changer?
In this case, it's for a whole bunch of stuff I have laying around. XM Radio, iPAQ, MiniDisc Player, etc.

Originally Posted by Epoch
Send us some pics of the unit so I can understand what you
mean by "Bullet connector"
See below.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
bullet.jpg (22.0 KB, 9 views)
Old 09-28-2004, 11:59 AM
Epoch
CHRISTMASTIME IN IRAQ

If you don't want to power it while the car is off, what I would do is hook it up to the battery as NorCalDC4 suggested, but I would either put a relay switch that gets it's activation from the atteana power line, or just put in a toggle switch somewhere. So, basically, the FM modulator will not receive power unless the atteana is up, or you have the toggle switch activated, depending on which way you choose to go.

And I would just cut the bullet connector off and use the connection you would find most convenient for your setup...