Notices

:Your Two Cent Please:

Old 08-18-2004, 09:14 PM
CiViC2nR86
JDM Padawin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default :Your Two Cent Please:

My car is coming along pretty nicely, and I have finally reached the point where I want more power for my Integra. BTW I drive a 2000 LS with about 55,000 miles on it so far, the motor is pretty healthy considering I've beaten an eg6 with the same motor. Since the b18b1 has pretty nice Displacement and the stroke and gearing is perfect for forced induction, it might be cheaper to go that way. I am a full time student and use this car as a daily driver so reliability is definately a big consideration. I know Mr.FatBooty will ask this so I might as well answer it now, I am looking to spend under $2000 and looking for about 200 horses or so to the wheels from my measely 129hp.

The draw back on the turbo is the labor work on it, because I dont have a garage of my own and do not know too much about Turbos to be puttin one in reliably. First off, there are more parts, like the turbo, intercooler, blow-off valve, FMU, injectors, exhaust manifold, gauges, downpipe, boost controller ..etc. Then i would have to tap an oil line and worry about maintaining it all the time. For a turbo kit in my price range with all those parts would probably be either used or shitty.

The supercharger (JRSC) is about $2,500 brand new, although i can get it used in pretty good condition for about $1,500 with a 8 psi pulley. It is easier to maintain and probably pretty reliable, but with it boosting all the time, it probably wouldn't good for a daily driver? And the price, about $1,500-$2,500 for only about 160hp to the wheels is probably very costly i think.

My last choice is an LS/VTEC motor. I already have a healthy block, and I can get a b18c1 head for $300, and i can get dowels, head gasket, oil lines, and vtec solenoid for $250. I can probably sell my b18b1 head afterwards for some money back also, but I have to question the reliability of a LS/VTEC setup in the long run.

Basically, I just want to know what would you guys choose given these parameters and limits.
Old 08-18-2004, 09:33 PM
SupaTeg
supa slammed

buy used turbo stuff, but brand new turbo....

so far i've spent
hondata s100b(pending, for my exhaust)
$700 intercooler and piping BOV and wastegate with clamps
manifold is probably goin to run me in the 300 range...
turbo (thats i want 700)
and then misc. stuff
new exhaust run me in the 200 range
tunning 300-500
personally if u buy slightly used stuff, u'll be in the mid 2-3gs

but u'll want more like LSD and built motor, and so on...

i'll be running my setup on a stock motor (with 140k) dont kno how long its goin to last but at 12psi i should make right over 300hp with tunning...when i blow that up, the built LS is gettin dropped in...
the longer my first motor lasts, the better the 2nd will be
Old 08-19-2004, 09:38 AM
kfar09

your best bet is like stated above. buy some slightly used turbo parts and pay someone to put it in if you dont feel comfortable doing it yourself. i threw the greddy kit on my GSR and after the clutch, all turbo parts, and $700 for the install, my car went from 148hp at the wheels to 216 (all these numbers on a mustang dyno). I spent 4k for it all and also got some new wheels in that price. my car went from running a 15.5 in the 1/4 to a 13.9. It is still a daily driver and I'm only pushing 7.8lbs. My gas mileage only went down 4mph with the bigger injectors also.

So my .02 is turbo. its amazing
Old 08-19-2004, 10:44 PM
CiViC2nR86
JDM Padawin

What kind of parts should I buy used and what parts should I buy new?
Old 08-20-2004, 12:36 AM
PikkaGTR
Power of Dreams

The Turbo should be new always but other parts could be used
you just dont want a used turbo giving you headaches
Old 08-20-2004, 08:26 PM
Enkubus

I'd go supercharger myself. Get all that crazy low end power! :irock:

If you want the power for street racing (which is very dangerous and is not advised ) go SC and beat thier sorry A and then put the brakes on before whatever they drive has a chance to catch up...

Yeh, I know...
Old 08-20-2004, 10:31 PM
pomansouth

an ls motor will not make 300 whp on 12PSI. On the other hand a greddy basic kit will put you some where around the area that you may want to be. maybe a little less or little more. Anyhow no vortech. It doesnt make good power until like 6k. A jrsc is decient but a fwd car really doesnt need that kind of torque because it cant handle it.
Old 08-21-2004, 08:08 AM
SupaTeg
supa slammed

Originally Posted by pomansouth
an ls motor will not make 300 whp on 12PSI. On the other hand a greddy basic kit will put you some where around the area that you may want to be. maybe a little less or little more. Anyhow no vortech. It doesnt make good power until like 6k. A jrsc is decient but a fwd car really doesnt need that kind of torque because it cant handle it.
i got dyno sheets to prove that....

12psi with hondata
Old 08-23-2004, 03:33 PM
CiViC2nR86
JDM Padawin

Wat is ur setup supa?
Old 08-23-2004, 08:33 PM
SupaTeg
supa slammed

Originally Posted by CiViC2nR86
Wat is ur setup supa?
RevHard manifold
RevHard intercooler
custom ic piping
Tial bov
Tial wastegate 35mm w/ dumptube
Greddy 720cc injectors
InlinePro fuel rail
Hondata s200 w/ boost
XS Engineering t04x turbo
Greddy 60mm boost gauge
Turbo xs manual boost controller
3" downpipe

kit made 329hp 286tq @12psi on a stock LS motor.

not mine, but my homeboiz....i bought some stuff off of him.... and if u want me to show u the dyno sheets, i'll see if i can get them from him