Notices

Engine troubles

Old 08-01-2004, 11:26 AM
Deludedteg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine troubles

So here's the problem, My check engine light came on last night and I got the code checked today. The code is: Catalyst efficiency low in bank 1. I did some checking around and found some oil in my PCV valve. Anyone have any thoughts as to why this could be? I just changed my oil the other day. I drained it completely, put on a new filter and used the same type of oil I always use. I put in all 4 quarts. I changed my oil in april and drove it until June 3rd( I had to go out to sea). I got back July 23rd and changed my oil this thursday. So the car hasn't been driven for 2 months. So could anyone shed some light on how much trouble I'm in here?

~Deluded
Old 08-02-2004, 10:24 AM
TheOtherDave™
Apathy Kills

Originally Posted by Deludedteg
30 views and no thoughts? Does anyone have any ideas as to that could've caused this, and, what I might have to do about it?
There is no need to "bump" your thread. :a: If people aren't commenting, it's because they don't feel like they can help....I however, will take a stab at it.

I am assuming that you have an older 3rd Gen Integra.
If it has a fair number of miles on it....the catalytic converter may indeed need replacement. It does, eventually wear out.

A small amount of oil residue on the PCV should be fine, and I doubt it's related to your CEL. I'm assumi the PCV valve diaphragm is intact and holding the proper pressure.

Furthermore, since you didn't state that the motor is burning oil, my bet is that the catalytic converter is simply dying of old age. Until I have more information - such as the year of the car, mileage, etc. - I can't provide any futher assistance.

:: HAN Integra FAQ: If, by some miracle, yours hasn't been stolen... check it out!
Old 08-02-2004, 11:01 AM
Deludedteg

I guess I was a little impatient. Here's a bit more info on my car. It's a 1998 integra LS with 124K miles on it. No engine mods. I mention the oil being in the PCV valve because it's never done that. It seemed like a decent bit of oil considering that it is also on the valve cover around the PCV valve, and I think some of it is actually on the fuel rail. I replaced the PCV valve about 4-5K miles ago. I didn't think about the Cat being bad. I'm sure it's ready to be replaced given the mileage on it. I haven't noticed it burning oil, but this did just come up so maybe I'm catching something just in time? Does that help any?
Thanks
Old 08-02-2004, 11:20 AM
TheOtherDave™
Apathy Kills

Originally Posted by Deludedteg
I guess I was a little impatient. Here's a bit more info on my car. It's a 1998 integra LS with 124K miles on it. No engine mods. I mention the oil being in the PCV valve because it's never done that. It seemed like a decent bit of oil considering that it is also on the valve cover around the PCV valve, and I think some of it is actually on the fuel rail. I replaced the PCV valve about 4-5K miles ago. I didn't think about the Cat being bad. I'm sure it's ready to be replaced given the mileage on it. I haven't noticed it burning oil, but this did just come up so maybe I'm catching something just in time? Does that help any?
Thanks
I appreciate your predicament, and your understanding...

Well, now that you're mentioning the leakage.... that's interesting....:thinking:

If it's all over the fuel rail, then I wonder about the seal between the PCV valve and the hose leading from it to the intake....h: I mean, since they're neighbors...:dunno: I know it's too late now since you just changed your oil....but how much oil do you suspect is leaking out of the PCV valve region? And the car's running strong despite all of this?

Here's what I'm thinking...don't be alarmed, this is just rhetoric..h:..
If the cat was fouled by oil leakage...then one ought to stop the oil leakage before a new cat is promptly ruined...right? h:

:: HAN Integra FAQ: If, by some miracle, yours hasn't been stolen... check it out!
Old 08-02-2004, 11:43 AM
Deludedteg

I just found this leak on sunday so I can't really determine how much oil is leaking but there's enough to be alarming especially since this is all accompanied by a CEL. The engine doesn't seem sluggish or weak, but I've been babying my car since the CEL came on. I'll try to check later if there is any odd colored smoke coming from my exhaust. As for replacing a cat that's clogged by oil I totally agree that it'd be a mute point to do so without fixing the current problem(whatever it may be). I have an appointment with Hall Acura wednesday to have them look at it. I hope the news isn't too grim.

If I post some pics do you think that would help?

Thanks
~Deluded
Old 08-03-2004, 09:51 AM
bart_dood

The cat shouldn't be ruined by oil.
If the cat is running low on efficiency due to oil contamination, just take it off and flush it with a solvent like acetone (don't get any on any paintwork!), acetone should get any build up nicely flushed out. Dry it out by blowing through it with an airline or something before you put it back on the exhaust.
If its still no good then its dead

Cats generally only get wrecked by things like mercury or lead or things like that, hydrocarbons such as oil should not really effect it.

Hope this helps!

Chris
Old 08-03-2004, 09:52 AM
bart_dood

Oh, forget to add, you may want to wash the lambda sensors with acetone also, don't get any acteone on the wires as they may melt. Just wash the tips that sit in the airstream.
Old 08-04-2004, 06:52 AM
fjm1
G35

Check your oil level too. It's easier than you think to overfill. I just did a change on my G35. Owners manual says 5 quarts go in it but only 4 quarts came out of it (including filter). Somewhere it's holding on to a bit of oil.

Had I put 5 quarts back in before measuring what came out, I'd have overfilled.

PCV valves are sensitive to an overfill, maybe catalytic converters too?? Too much pressure causing leakage around PCV??
Old 08-04-2004, 12:53 PM
Deludedteg

Well I got my car back from the Stealership today. $945 to replace the CAT(JUST the CAT). Not in this or any other life time. I've done some searching online and I think I'm just gonna go ahead and start modifying the exhaust. I have a bit of money I had saved up for just that reason so I think that's what I'll do. I'm just gonna do it a lil sooner than I had planned. Thanks for all your help guys.
Old 08-04-2004, 05:19 PM
bart_dood

Cats are expensive I know, but if you search on ebaymotors or on google or something I am sure you can find a replacement cat for far less $$$$$.
However if you want more power you would be better off getting a performance cat for more $$$.
Bare in mind that whatever you do to your exhaust, you HAVE to have a cat to pass the smog....

Chris