Notices

NEED HELP on Turboing a Integra

Old 07-30-2004, 12:14 PM
TheOtherDave™
Apathy Kills

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by So.Cal_INTEGRA
Oh no no no, Im not saying "that" motor is bone stock, I was just showing what potential a B18b has, lol. Sorry for the mix up

But what I have heared and seen on team-integra.net, you are able to boost up to 11psi on a stock LS motor with a stage 2 turbo setup, 8psi on a GSR with a stage 2 turbo setup.
:cheers: No worries, mate... I got ya now.

I'm impressed - I think - that people are boosting that high... but I think Churchill put it best - "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure."

I readily admit to being a conservative tuner - and I still maintain the opinion that for the average daily driven car, that a turbo application should have a very healthy safety margin, both in hardware and tuning.

If you run on the ragged edge of what the stock block will tolerate, all it takes is one bad tank of gas or one injector failure and your proverbial goose is cooked. I know B18B's are plentiful, and cheaper than their VTEC brethren.. but not a lot of people can afford to treat engines as expendable components. h: I know I can't.

The thing that I worry about the most is that a new Honda owner is going to go out- armed with little more than internet banter - and think that they can be cavalier about boosting...that it's a simple matter of a kit and a weekend's wrenching.

The reality is that prepping the motor for boost is only the first step.

You also have to factor in cooling system upgrades, at least an uprated clutch, perhaps even driveshafts...then come brakes, harnesses. chassis, suspension, etc.. People need to look at the big picture if they want a durable motor and a properly balanced chassis.

So I implore all of you considering boost to do extensive research and price everything out. While the parts are plentiful, boosting is not an operation that can be marginalized and penny-pinched.

:cheers:

:: HAN Integra FAQ: If, by some miracle, yours hasn't been stolen... check it out!
Old 07-31-2004, 06:59 AM
kfar09

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have a buddy who has a turbo ls in his civic and runs 14lbs daily. he has had no problems (yet)

also,i just got the greddy kit on my 96 GSR and it is actually set at 7.8lbs with the blue box(opposed to the 6lbs as stated before). It is great for a daily driver. It was on a mustang dyno and pulled 216 hp and 157 ft/lbs. Then they did a 1/4 mile pull and got a 13.899 @ 101mph. and he didn't hit 3rd perfectly either.

So if you want something with reliability on stock internals, get the greddy kit.

just my .02