Notices

Upgrading brakes on bottom end integra?

Old 06-29-2004, 02:16 PM
caught@125mph

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upgrading brakes on bottom end integra?

Hey there, I am a new member of this forum.
I registered because my best friend has a 97 Integra LS (4-door). I, being the car nut that I am and unable to allow any car that comes within half a mile of me to leave unchanged, have convinced him to do some mild tweaks to the car to improve handling and stopping.
The set-back is that back when he got it, he made a promise to his parents that he wouldn't modify it.

And so, the plan is to hopefully find out what OEM brake components off of either higher-end integras or other vehicles will fit on his car, thus improving his braking without using aftermarket parts. Of course, aftermarket pads will be used.

Any info on what possibilities I have in this regard would be greatly apreciated.
Old 06-29-2004, 03:09 PM
Snoopy
been there done that

he could get the bigger brakes and better suspension from an itr
Old 06-29-2004, 10:28 PM
caught@125mph

How big of an improvement are the type-r's brakes and suspension? Also, would the type-r's brakes (rotor & caliper) bolt on or would other parts be needed?
Old 06-30-2004, 03:08 AM
BONE

try www.fastbrakes.com they have what you need.
Old 06-30-2004, 04:04 AM
bluetwo
Relevance is irrelevant

man..... I got power slots and they are awesome. I can't see how giving a car better brakes could be a bad thing. Personally I'm VERY glad that I upgraded because there were several times when I was sure that I would lock it up and slide, but the aftermarket rotors are just too good. And I'm using lower end pads......
Old 06-30-2004, 06:56 AM
b00gers

the type r brake stuff wont "just" bolt on. since theres an extra lug on there.

if the parents arent too much into cars, theres a few things you can do to "improve handling" and braking while maintaining an OEM look.

Brakes: https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/s...ghlight=brakes
- gets a more aggressive set of pads. various types of pads for different applications is mentioned in that thread linked above.

- if you do more than normal street driving, look into a set of SS lines. this will prevent brake fade from occuring so often.

- might as well replace your rotors with the brembo OEM replacements. www.importrp.com has good prices and good service.

- replace your brake fluid with something that is mention in that previous thread.

Handling:

-Obviously getting lowering springs is out the question since the parents would know that the car is being modded. however that shouldnt stop you from replacing the shocks. look into KYB AGX, Koni Yellows, Blisteins.... Or you can do a very minor drop, which will also result in stiffer springs. ive yet to run into a set of springs that offer higher springs rates, but is the same height as the OEM ones. but maybe there is something out there.

- upgrading the rear sway bar should make the car more neutral if i recall. thats an easy mod, and if you get the ITR rear sway bar, technically it still came from the Honda factory h: and its black, so its really difficult to tell unless you know what you are doing. below is a link on how to install the ITR rear sway bar on a 99 sedan. it should be similar with your car also.
http://www.b00gersinmynose.com/ITRinstall.htm
Old 06-30-2004, 01:25 PM
Tobra

there are a lot of things that need changing to put the ITR brakes on, I would put on the more aggressive pads as described above, together with the other minimal brake upgrades, this will make a huge difference. The H&R OEM sport springs will not lower it much, maybe 1/2 inch, are progressive and would be pretty good in conjuction with new shocks. IF it is an LS, it probably does not have a strut tower brace, a GSR one can be had for nearly nothing, or you could go with an ITR piece. The GSR strut tower brace is a little more low key looking, no big redR on it. Rear sway bar will bolt on off a GSR, needs a few extra pieces to use ITR one
Old 06-30-2004, 04:41 PM
caught@125mph

Thanks alot for all the info so far guys.

We've decided on some good pads, some racing brake fluid, and SS lines, as well as some new blank rotors. That's a pretty common Auto-x set up and should be what the doctor ordered (we don't autocross per-se but the time attacks on the local mountain road is quite the equivilant.)

As far as springs/shocks go, he doesn't think there will be a problem with dropping the car - his parents are unlikely to give much notice. And so...
We're dealing with a pretty slim budget here. A nice set of shocks/springs aren't attainable. So, would it be better to just get a set of really good quality springs and run stock shocks, or would it be better to get a cheaper set of shocks and springs?

I run a 93 Ford Probe GT and I have (or had, since I just blew the engine) Eibach progressive springs and stock shocks. This worked great, but the GT already comes with a sport shock on it, and I don't know if a LS integra has shocks that could handle an aftermarket spring...

Thanks again

P.S. I can get a really good deal on just the two front or rear Tokico HP struts... would it be possible to get a set of good springs and just use aftermarket front tokico shocks??
Old 06-30-2004, 05:03 PM
caught@125mph

Okay, whats the bottom line with Axxis Metal Masters? I've personally used them for 6 months, and they are everything that the majority of guys i talk to who have used them also say: Great grip in the cold, when they warm up they Grip amazingly strong, No fade whatsoever, and alot of dust. I personally love them and that's exactly how they are for me, and although I don't autocross, I do pretty much the equivilant of it...

So why do I keep hearing the random person suddenly go "Metal Masters are crap, they can't even compare"...? I mean, that's not the metal masters that I know - and is that in comparison to more expensive pads? I can get MM pads for about $80 all around, so they are pretty cheap for what they do. Obviously there are better and much more expensive pads out there... I just want to hear what the bottom line is about these pads before I put them on my friend's integra project...
Old 07-01-2004, 06:56 AM
b00gers

www.importrp.com has the Ultimates for less than $80 all around for my integra. they have a decent grip to them, and although dusting a lot, it cleans off easily.