Notices

Buying An Integra With A JDM Engine Installed

Old 05-13-2015, 08:25 PM
misweetrevenge

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying An Integra With A JDM Engine Installed

hey guys, I've been looking around and haven't gotten the answer I'm looking for. I'm looking at buying another Integra for a commuter (my 94 was totaled when I got hit by an SUV in 2010). I drive 300+ miles a week and the 12.5mpg in my truck is pricey.

My question is... Is it a good idea to buy an Integra with a JDM engine already installed in it? I'm in Cali and I've read they have smog issues do to the one last digit on the block. It's a 1996 GSR 4door with 170k miles on the body and tranny with a JDM b18c GSR engine. Clean title. He claimes it passed smog last week. Has stock header, stock ecu, aem intake and stock cat. No warning lights on the dash. He just did a full tuneup on it. Doesn't leak in the rain and the moonroof works.

I feel like this is a good buy I'm just worried about smog issues or any other issues that could arise with the JDM engine. My 94 had 288k mile in the original engine and tranny.
Old 05-15-2015, 10:59 AM
TheOtherDave™
Apathy Kills

Did the seller do the swap "by the book" or did he try to sneak it past the smog technicians? The law says it's on the seller to provide proof the car passes smog at the time of sale.

https://www.bar.ca.gov/Industry/Engi...uidelines.html
Engine Change Guidelines

Engine changes continue to present problems and challenges to car owners and technicians. Our recommendation is to rebuild and reinstall the original engine, transmission, and emission control configuration.

When rebuilding an engine, it must be rebuilt to the original equipment specifications. However, if you do decide to change the engine, these guidelines must be observed to ensure that the vehicle will be eligible for smog certification or registration.

Remember, these are guidelines for performing engine changes - not certification procedures. All exhaust emission controlled vehicles with engine changes must be inspected by an official Referee station and must have a Bureau of Automotive Repair (BAR) Referee label affixed to the doorpost.

Remember also, state and federal anti-tampering laws generally prohibit any modification to the vehicle's original emission control system configuration as certified by the manufacturer. And, Section 3362.1 of the California Code of Regulations prohibits any engine change that degrades the effectiveness of a vehicle's emission control system.
If there's no BAR inspection sticker, it's not a legal swap. You could roll the dice and make it legit, but IMO it's more trouble than its worth.
Regardless, if he doesn't have a receipt for the engine, walk away. The last thing you want to do is buy it, have it inspected by the BAR... and then discover the motor was stolen.

All in all, this sounds shady.

:: HAN Integra FAQ: If, by some miracle, yours hasn't been stolen... check it out!
Old 05-18-2015, 09:52 AM
misweetrevenge

Thanks for the input. I'm feeling the same way. He claims an older lady owned it before him since it was new. I find that hard to believe because it's got a JDM GSR motor, AEM intake, blacked out windows, performance clutch and a 3" tinted brow on the windshield. Sounds like a younger guys car to me. And he has no receipts for anything. I think I'm gonna pass on it.