Notices

Insane Timing

Old 06-11-2004, 03:49 PM
FA9S8U

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Insane Timing

Well I got some cams from my friends third generation 94 integra ls...after some inspecting I discoverd the the lobes were slightly larger but other then that they should work in the b18a1 motor. Well a few days ago my friend helped me put them in took us about an hour total got them in, checked everything put the valve cover on and a new gasket, started the car and well it worked but when I got it on the road to drive it...the car was sluggish, so our thought was timing...and behold the intake came was about 20 degrees advnced and the exhaust cam was about 5 degrees retarded.

Well today I finally got a day off work to play with it and now that I look at everything I'm wondering how the hell this car was running. I have the crank pulley alligned at Top dead center (via the red mark on the accessory pulley)..with this the cam gears however are upside down instead of the up mark being at the top they are somewhat alligned at 4 o'clock....right now I'm thinking :wtf: ....any ideas?
Old 06-11-2004, 10:51 PM
hondatech
Honda tech/eprom hackr

The red mark is not TDC. TDC is the white mark. Line it up to the white mark on the crank, then check where your cams are at. You are going to be off. You will have to reinstall the belt to make it right.
Old 06-12-2004, 09:52 PM
FA9S8U

eh....If I'm off I did pretty good job at being off the timing is nearly perfect on it...I'll go take a look tomorrow when there is light but I don't recall seing a white mark on the crank pulley. What does the red mark indicate then?
Old 06-13-2004, 01:31 PM
hondatech
Honda tech/eprom hackr

The red mark is usually the BTDC mark. You time it with the red mark, you line up your belt with the white. It's there, maybe it's too dirty to see. If you get the crank pully bolt off look at the key way and when it's pointing up the white mark on the crank pulley should be at the pointer on the timing cover.