Notices

What Teg Should I Get

Old 05-04-2004, 01:11 PM
zzztwinky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Teg Should I Get

I am new to this site and am new getting into the world of honda/acura and i am interested in a 4-door teg. My budget for the car is 3,000 for the car itself. I plan on racing it at track events such as road racing and auto crossing with the occaisional drag down the road and i am wondering what year/model would be the best for my interests. I like the 4 door for insurance reasons and practicality. So let me know what you guys think!
Old 05-04-2004, 01:52 PM
redtide

well..... the best out of the box would be a GS-R. it's the most powerful stock 4 door that acura made. so if you are set on a sedan that would be your best choice.

as far as year goes, for 3k you are prolly looking at a 94-96.
Old 05-04-2004, 01:55 PM
GSRRacer95
Fight On!

good luck finding a 4dr GSR in that price range. redtide must be not talking about a GSR

Old 05-04-2004, 03:04 PM
kfar09

any gsr in that price range either has a ton of miles on it or is falling apart
Old 05-04-2004, 03:41 PM
TheOtherDave™
Apathy Kills

Originally Posted by zzztwinky
I am new to this site and am new getting into the world of honda/acura and i am interested in a 4-door teg. My budget for the car is 3,000 for the car itself. I plan on racing it at track events such as road racing and auto crossing with the occaisional drag down the road and i am wondering what year/model would be the best for my interests. I like the 4 door for insurance reasons and practicality. So let me know what you guys think!
First off, welcome to HAN!

Secondly, where are you located? In Cali, there's always a bit of price inflation on popular imports, so the offerings in your area may or may not be different from what I see here in the Bay Area.

Also, as far as third-gen (DC/DB) Integra Coupes and Sedans go, the GSR sedan did sell in the same volume that the coupe did, which is a shame in many respects. That will make the car more expensive in the used car market , regardless of locale. Also, if the California market is anything like yours, any VTEC DC/DB Integra selling for under $3K is going to be beat to almighty hell or have very, very high mileage - as in 175K or more. If money is really tight, you may want to consider a non-VTEC DB or DA Integra, and then swap in a VTEC motor when funds become available. Regardless of the model or year , I'd recommend doing a compression check on any candidate before actually purchasing the car.

Once again, welcome to the board; I hope you enjoy your stay with us.

:: HAN Integra FAQ: If, by some miracle, yours hasn't been stolen... check it out!
Old 05-04-2004, 06:26 PM
zzztwinky

thanks a lot for the response... i could go a little higher for the car. I have a Mitsu Galant right now that I am probably gonna sell to buy the teg and im pretty sure the most i could squeeze out if it is 3,500 so we'll see and i could always put a little more cash towards the car outta my pocket. I'll have a job this summer and i cant even drive the car til april when i get my license i just got lucky that my sister blew the engine on the mitsu and gave it to me and i gave it a new engine and was gonna mod it but decided it was too hefty and not good looking enough for me... so i'll think about what i should do, and if i do get a non vtec is it worth putting one in later? i hear to get the power you have to rev the piss out of it because i have a cousin with a vtec prelude and he isnt too fond of it. Would it just be better to mod the non vtec with like a turbo and the usual exhaust, intake, throttle body and wires? And sorry for not knowing any of the engine or chasis codes yet today is really the 1st day i have dug into the honda/acura scene which i havent been a huge fan of but have found some that i like so just give me your opinions!
Old 05-04-2004, 07:23 PM
MrFatbooty
Wannabe yuppie

With that kind of budget you're going to be looking at the 2nd generation cars which were sold from '90-'93.

Autocrossing is a venue which focuses more on tires, suspension and braking than engine mods. You get placed in classes with similarly powered cars with similar handling abilities and unless you go into a class which allows very heavy modifications you're kind of limited in the amount of mods you can do to the engine.

What's your total budget for the project, including paying for insurance, gas, maintenance (the car is going to be old) and all that other stuff?
Old 05-05-2004, 12:00 PM
zzztwinky

i will be putting it together slowly so really the budget is endless... im not gonna go out and in one trip buy everyitng i want its gonna be a kind of a slow process thats why im starting early... probably all the money i get will go towards the car, im thinking i could spend 3000$ on the suspension, and if i decide to make it a street machine probably 2000 on the engine so about $10,000 all together (car included) over the course of a few years... does that sound reasonable?
Old 05-05-2004, 02:08 PM
TheOtherDave™
Apathy Kills

That figure of $10K for a street prepped DA ( h: 90-93) certainly sounds doable, I'd just do a lot of research, set firm reasonable goals for the car, draft a plan and try to stick to it.

:: HAN Integra FAQ: If, by some miracle, yours hasn't been stolen... check it out!