Notices

Spoon Damper/Progessive Spring combo

Old 11-19-2003, 01:19 PM
Shaft

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has any one had any experience with this setup? Can they compare to full coilover systems(Tein, Zeal, JIC, etc.) in performance? I want to know if they will be good enough for road racing lapping days.
Old 11-27-2003, 07:20 AM
George Knighton

Originally Posted by Shaft
Has any one had any experience with this setup? Can they compare to full coilover systems(Tein, Zeal, JIC, etc.) in performance? I want to know if they will be good enough for road racing lapping days.
Could you clear up what Spoon combination you're thinking of buying?

Spoon sells springs separately that are "progressive" but as far as I know the Showa combinations sold under the Spoon name are not progressive, but straight spring ratios.

The Showa/Spoon coilover setups are very sturdy and work very well on road courses, provided you are going the "JDM" heavy front route and prepared to do whatever else you need to do to get the car to handle. E.g., you will need increased camber on the front and heavy bar in the rear.

Provided you have an entire package and theory in mind when designing your RR/lapping car, these would be fine.

Personally, I turn 1:28's at Summit Point with revalved Koni Yellows and straight ratio Ground Control springs (400# Front, 500# Rear). Because the heavy springs are in the rear, I do not need to worry so much about front camber, and my USDM OEM sway bars stayed on the car.
Old 11-27-2003, 09:33 AM
Shaft

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

These Dampers

Are these not Showa dampers as well?

.....and these springs

I'm not really planning on really modding the car much, I was just thinking of this setup as an upgrade to the stock suspension. Or am I better off staying stock?