Notices

"Brake" Cluster light problem.

Old 11-01-2003, 07:04 PM
5-Lug

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've only had my R for about 3 months, I bought it off a a 49 year old guy so I don't think it was beat down. Anyway..... When I start my car in the coolness of the morning (we're talking Florida coolness, so it's maybe 85 degress or so) the brake light on my cluster stays lit even when I release my emergency brake. Even if I release it before starting the car or what not it stays lit. This happens until the car warms up or after about 5 minutes of driving, then I can be cruising at 40 or so and tap the brakes and the light goes off, but as soon as I hit the throttle again, the light comes back on, and once again I could tap the brakes and have it go off. This will contintue until I've been driving for maybe 10 minutes when I'll tap the brakes, and the light will go off for good. (Almost like heat has something to do with it.) Now if I start my car at like 1:00pm, it's fine, the brake light goes off like normal and never comes back on, then as it gets cooler into the evening and night, the same problem happens. I haven't taken it to a shop because I don't want to hear the bs story of me needing new rotors and all that other garbage. So, anybody have any ideas?? Maybe a sticking cable or something? Sorry for the long post.
Old 11-02-2003, 07:16 AM
Dave-ROR

Check the brake fluid level. It's probably just low. If that's not the problem, replace the resovior cap. The sensor in it goes bad. Most likely you just need to add some fluid though.

And it's been nice in st pete lately, not 85 degrees in the morning :P
Old 11-02-2003, 07:01 PM
5-Lug

Thanks for the info Dave, I filled it up today and I'll see how it goes tomorrow morning.

I don't even know if 85 would be cool or hot, I just threw it in there. :P
Old 11-02-2003, 10:03 PM
otb2000itr

Could be youre low on brake fluid like mentioned above, or you may need to replace your brake pads.
Old 11-03-2003, 03:43 AM
Trey

Good point on the brake pads. If you are low on fluid most of it has gone to fill the space of the used up brake pads.
Old 11-03-2003, 06:21 AM
Dave-ROR

Originally Posted by Trey
Good point on the brake pads. If you are low on fluid most of it has gone to fill the space of the used up brake pads.
Yep, but the brake pads will be obvious when they need to be replaced :P
Old 11-03-2003, 08:54 AM
Opie

I'm having the same problem in both, my R and my CR i have to go outside and check the fluidlevels... :lol:
Old 11-03-2003, 09:30 AM
Opie

Yup, No brake fluid in my CRX will any brake fluid do the job? is there any bleeding necessary if im just adding fluid?
Old 11-03-2003, 05:31 PM
Dave-ROR

Originally Posted by OPIE112
Yup, No brake fluid in my CRX will any brake fluid do the job? is there any bleeding necessary if im just adding fluid?
if there was really no fluid then you need to bleed them out. But, I'd be a wee bit more concerned about where that fluid went. Pad usage should NOT empty a resovoir.
Old 11-04-2003, 05:38 AM
Opie

Originally Posted by Dave-ROR
[quote:cee0f60ee7="OPIE112"]Yup, No brake fluid in my CRX will any brake fluid do the job? is there any bleeding necessary if im just adding fluid?
if there was really no fluid then you need to bleed them out. But, I'd be a wee bit more concerned about where that fluid went. Pad usage should NOT empty a resovoir.[/quote:cee0f60ee7]

Thanx for the response Dave, but the resevoir was just low, I just took the cap off and wiped it off, and through some brake fluid in. No mor light, now I have to check my R!