Notices

ITR and snow?

Old 10-09-2003, 02:29 PM
Dupes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone has driven their R yet over winter with winter tires?
I might be doing it this winter... dont really like the idea of driving a beater when I have this beautiful R sitting in the garage! ops:
Old 10-12-2003, 07:19 PM
SanjayR

Yeah once i had no choice but to drive to charlotte and pick up a friend and i was trying to beat the snow buit i hit it on the way back i drove throuhg mountain roads in about 2-3 inches or snow. I couldnt go faster then like 15-25 mph. But the R is definitly capable of tackiling snow.
Old 10-12-2003, 07:54 PM
Champ R

I drive mine year-round... as long as you have decent winter tires, its just like driving any other honda in snow.
Old 10-13-2003, 12:15 PM
fredtoast

My R didn't like the snow too much. Remember the wider the tire the worse it will perform on snow. My wife's mazda protege was much better on the snow. I'm sure it was because of her narrower tires.
Old 10-20-2003, 06:22 PM
bbqman

You should know better...I drive mine year 'round because I can't stand to see it in the garage...idle......
As for winter tires, there is a compromise to be made...deep snow threads narrow and tall...these will make a harsh winter easy but with sloppy high speed highway handling characteristics...
The other choice is ultra high performance winter tires ( yes it really does exist here in Canada) which have stiffer sidewalls and more rubber contact profile. These work well in wet and slush conditions and retain the ITR's highway stability traits.

Personally, I use the Pirelli W210 Assymetric 205/50-15 which may be discontinued this year. The ones before were 195/55-15 and worked better in 8 inches of snow.
Last year, my worn winter were on the car when we went to the track in April....not that slow really!!!
email me if you want more ideas.
Old 10-24-2003, 08:42 PM
Ole Yeller

Drive mine all year round -- 3 winters so far with no problems at all but had a good set of winters installed. I went with the Goodyear Eagle Ultra grip GW-2's -- they are fine in the snow and ice- not as good as Blizzak or other Ice tires -- but way better in the dry and wet -- in fact you have a hard time feeling that you are on winters, they do not have the dry grip of the summers but have a much better feel than the Pirelli winter 210's which IMHO feel like mush in the dry. Other good High Performance winter tires are the Dunlop W2-orW3's [some thing like that] or the Blizzak LM-22's --These tires are full winters but built with a high performance bias which make them more palatable for 'Spirited' drivers.
I think that that Goodyear has a new version out this year --GW-3 but have no experiance with these.
Old 10-25-2003, 12:47 PM
Dupes

thanks BBQman, but finally I found my self a nice little winter car 8)
Old 10-28-2003, 04:27 AM
bbqman

Oh no , gonna store the ITR for the winter.......dohhhhh

BTW, Ole Yeller, I've had Ultra Grips and they are awesome in the snow, more than one would think, but for the highway, unfortunately you can't beat the W210....like I mentioned...the Assymetric, which are not the ordinary 210's. Trust me, at 210kph you'll know the difference.
Old 10-29-2003, 03:39 PM
Ole Yeller

I based my experiance on the regular Winter 210's -- so maybe I will try the Assymetric's next time around but then the new Gw-3' need to be tested as well -- love the way each year the new tires get better - hard to keep up !
Old 10-29-2003, 04:13 PM
George Knighton

Originally Posted by Dupes
Anyone has driven their R yet over winter with winter tires?:
I went through a winter with Dunlop SP5000.

The ITR did pretty well, honestly.