Notices

Brakes

Old 09-10-2003, 05:04 PM
The Question

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey can anyone tell me the top best brakes i should get for my 16" jdm 98 wheels for itr? brembo, mugen, spoon? brembo is too big for 16"... i need to know the real good brakes for 16" wheels
Old 09-11-2003, 08:54 AM
Dave-ROR

Originally Posted by The Question
hey can anyone tell me the top best brakes i should get for my 16" jdm 98 wheels for itr? brembo, mugen, spoon? brembo is too big for 16"... i need to know the real good brakes for 16" wheels
something wrong with the stock ones?
Old 09-11-2003, 10:36 AM
The Question

no not really but yeah... its been abused from racing, and i dont get that good of pedal response anymore... besides just basically want to upgrade to a big brake caliper setup for my racing needs
Old 09-11-2003, 10:41 AM
Dave-ROR

no not really but yeah... its been abused from racing, and i dont get that good of pedal response anymore... besides just basically want to upgrade to a big brake caliper setup for my racing needs
what "racing needs" do you have?

stock brake calipers with solid rotors and good pads/fluid = plenty of brake for practically any ITR race car. Yes, there are exceptions where larger rotors are needed for their thermal mass. Larger calipers can be useful for exerting more force (although calipers like spoon's don't) and for more even pad wear and slightly better modulation. Without knowing what racing you are involved in it'll be hard for anyone to make correct suggestions that fit your needs.
Old 09-11-2003, 10:48 AM
The Question

yeah tru i only need the big brake uprgrade for exerting more force n heat better than stock... i know stock is good enough for autocross but for me i just want to get the best besides i most likely will not get a big brake caliper because most of the great kits can be used with 17" or higher wheels n i want to keep the jdm 98 spec itr wheels on... just wanted to get some suggestions
Old 09-11-2003, 11:05 AM
Dave-ROR

yeah tru i only need the big brake uprgrade for exerting more force n heat better than stock... i know stock is good enough for autocross but for me i just want to get the best besides i most likely will not get a big brake caliper because most of the great kits can be used with 17" or higher wheels n i want to keep the jdm 98 spec itr wheels on... just wanted to get some suggestions
So this is a street car and occasional HPDE car? In that case. Stock. With good fluid and good pads. The stock brakes can EASILY hold up to severe track abuse with good pads and good fluid.

You don't want the calipers to hold heat, that's the job of the rotors which are then cooled through their venting. Unless you go offroading, stick with solid blanks, otherwise use slotted. Do not use cross drilled unless you want it for show (which it seems that you don't care too much about showing your brakes off). Spoon calipers will give you better modulation but have the same piston contact area as the stock calipers. Not worth the money IMO.
Old 09-11-2003, 11:41 AM
The Question

thanks man
Old 09-15-2003, 07:05 AM
Trey

Dave is 100% on point. The stock brakjes are more than yo using and upgrading will moo likely doy little for the money it will cost you.

Sounds like you need to do regular maintenance on your current setup to improve performance and pedal feel. Put on a fresh set of pads and bleed the brakes.

Trey