Notices

What header will give me the most hp gains???

Old 07-20-2003, 02:55 PM
Trey

Originally Posted by kabob
A 4-2-1 header will improve midrange power at the expense of some top end power; a 4-1 header makes excellent top end power but has less midrange punch.
THis is a very outdated opinion and depedning oin the 4-1 or 4-2-1 not a true statement anymore. 4-2-1 can produce more topend depending on the tube design. As can 4-1 produce more low end than a 4-2-1. The main thing is set a budget and looki at the options.
Old 07-20-2003, 05:13 PM
kabob

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was going by the common convention I'd learned when comparing designs between the '96-spec 4-2-1 JDM header and the '98+ 4-1 design, specifically. Does that not hold true for them?
Old 07-22-2003, 11:53 PM
SMSP

Originally Posted by Trey
what is the ballpark on stainless? 'd just as soon have mildd teel jet hotted but the price differece sounds to be minimal.
Actually my current ITR design in ceramic coated mild steel runs $975. However, I'm currently out of all custom bends for this piece and therefore will be going with stainless steel from now on. I hope to have pricing in the coming weeks for all the custom work.

I'm also doing a 2-1/2" stainless bolt on cat back system similar to the one on George's car. There is also a good possiblity that I'll be offering a 2-3/4" system for cars with B20VTECs. Also, I'll have some sweet deals on OEM Honda replacement pistons.
Old 07-23-2003, 03:44 AM
Trey

Originally Posted by kabob
I was going by the common convention I'd learned when comparing designs between the '96-spec 4-2-1 JDM header and the '98+ 4-1 design, specifically. Does that not hold true for them?
It may hold true to some extent but if I am not mistaken the 96 spec is a 2 piece header which add another aspect and undesireable feature. You can certainly pick out a 4-2-1 and 4-1 that will meet your generalization when compared but my point is companies these days can make headers that are 4-1 or 4-2-1 with little sacrafice on either side. YOu will have to pay dearly for these headers but they are there.

That said the JDM 4-1 loses no bnottom end power over a stock 4-2-1 manifold so I don't see the 4-1 design as an issue. A 4-2-1 design with a 2.25" collector might make as much power as a JDM 4-1 down low but will fall short up top and who ever tries to make power at 3500 rpms anyway . I don't even shift my car till 5000 rpms on a daily basis and 9000 rpms when I race. My power concerns are about 5000+ (Not to discount the initial power for a launch of course)
Old 07-24-2003, 04:52 PM
Type R 98

I saw a site with dyno's of all the headers on the type R and leaders were Toda, Smsp and Hytech

though the Best Bang for the Buck remains the DC JDM 4 1
Old 07-25-2003, 05:22 AM
Trey

Hytech wasn't tested in thwe webpage you saw. That said it should be similar in power gains.
Old 07-25-2003, 06:18 PM
otb2000itr

Originally Posted by Trey

He asked for the most power. DC sports while good won't make near the power of SMSP, Toda, Hytech or Comptech.

Had he said most power for the money I woudl have suggested OEM JDM 4-1.
Im gonna have to disagree with you on the part about Comptech...the DC JDM 41 makes exactly the same HP and torque as the Comptech header for less than half the price. In fact it even makes more HP than a Mugen header, provided the Mugen header makes 2 lb/ft torque more than the DC. For dyno tests of all the major headers check out this link...in fact the link should probably be a sticky so people dont keep asking this question. Click here----> http://bob123e.tripod.com/thegreatheadertest/
Old 07-26-2003, 11:18 AM
Trey

Originally Posted by otb2000itr
[quote:d5f25a733a="Trey"]

He asked for the most power. DC sports while good won't make near the power of SMSP, Toda, Hytech or Comptech.

Had he said most power for the money I woudl have suggested OEM JDM 4-1.
Im gonna have to disagree with you on the part about Comptech...the DC JDM 41 makes exactly the same HP and torque as the Comptech header for less than half the price. In fact it even makes more HP than a Mugen header, provided the Mugen header makes 2 lb/ft torque more than the DC. For dyno tests of all the major headers check out this link...in fact the link should probably be a sticky so people dont keep asking this question. Click here----> http://bob123e.tripod.com/thegreatheadertest/[/quote:d5f25a733a]

Anyone do anything other than read that stupid test? Best info we have but to this point outdated badly. The SMSP header in production now is a redesign and the Comptech header I am referring to was NOT even in the test. Neither was the Hytech and both should make similar gains to the SMSP. Comptech does make more than just ONE header now a days. Check out the comptech RACE header.
Old 07-26-2003, 01:03 PM
otb2000itr

Agreed, Comptech does make a race header, but thats certainly not street legal as it eliminates the cat. But yeah the test is a few years old, but the majority of those headers are unchanged designs, minus SMSP, which is a smaller company and its production numbers are limited, thus making it easier to make changes. Speaking from personal experience though, I like the DC 4-1 JDM header along with a Carsound race cat. It's a great combination for the amount of money being spent, and the seat of the pants dyno will notice the difference.
Old 07-26-2003, 02:12 PM
Trey

Funny you mention street legal all the Headers on the link you posted were tested with a 2.5" exhaust and test pipe, That said again, he didn't ask for street legal as none of the hytech/comptech"Race"/SMSP allow for a normal length cat and standard length exhaust. Bust they still do make more power than a JDM DC 4-1.

Onto the second topic brought up. DC JDM 4-1 is a good bang for the buck but when I use the term bang I am more referring to the ground clearance problem. Stock height cars this isn't an issue and you personally may not have seen this but compared to a JDM OEM 4-1 it is a good bit lower and many people have reported road contact over small bumps.

That said the Comptech Race header will have ground clearance issues too. You want a header that has it all it is the SMSP IMO.