Notices

stock 15" wheels vs. aftermarket 17" wheels

Old 06-30-2003, 07:55 AM
typeruz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i recently bought my baby, and she came with aftermarket 17" wheels...RS limited i believe. nothing too flashy, but they do look good. i weighed them in at 40 lbs with tires. i'm guessing they weigh about 19-20 lbs assuming the tires are 20-21 lbs. not too too bad.

anyways, the car never came with the 15" stock wheels. i was wondering....am i missing anything? i know the 15's are lighter (btw, whats the weight WITH tires), and, therefore better for the track.
however, i do not ever go auto-Xing. i just have fun on the road.

now, should i look into selling my wheels and getting the 15's???

i like the 17's and i think the car looks better/meaner with them.
but i have to get new tires soon, and i was thinking about maybe getting used stock 15's with tires b/c it'll probably be around the same price.

just wondering...thanks for the input!!!
Old 06-30-2003, 08:08 AM
Jan Niemi

You can get pretty cheap 15s that are lighter than the stockers, and cheaper. Try the Kosei K1s, they weigh a hair over 13lbs for a 15" and are 7" wide which is advantageous over 6.5" (allows a more square contact patch for a 205 series tire) stock R rims are not cheap, unless you find a sucker that will sell them cheap.
Old 06-30-2003, 11:41 AM
kabob

Actually, sadly enough, the stock rims are only 6" wide which makes running Azenis (smallest size that'll fit are 205/50/15) a bit sloppy on turn in :?

Hey, what year is your ITR? If she happens to be white, I've been seriously thinking about selling my UKDM Type R rims. They're the same 10-spoke pattern as the JDM 16" R rims, only 15x6" like US-spec. They're also a few pounds lighter than US at 12 lbs. each and like the US stock rims, they're made by Enkei.
Old 06-30-2003, 05:51 PM
heavydman99

If you like the look of the 17s, id keep them. Ive had both 15s and 17s and like the added off the line traction that i can get with a wider rim/tire...plus i like the look. Although, my rims weigh the same as stock so we are in a slightly different boat. Hope that helps...

ADAM
Old 06-30-2003, 06:53 PM
Jan Niemi

Sorry, my bad on the width, I was thinking of other popular light weight 15s like the Rota Slipstream which is 6.5 inches.
Old 07-01-2003, 05:32 AM
Erik B

Originally Posted by kabob
Actually, sadly enough, the stock rims are only 6" wide which makes running Azenis (smallest size that'll fit are 205/50/15) a bit sloppy on turn in :?

Hey, what year is your ITR? If she happens to be white, I've been seriously thinking about selling my UKDM Type R rims. They're the same 10-spoke pattern as the JDM 16" R rims, only 15x6" like US-spec. They're also a few pounds lighter than US at 12 lbs. each and like the US stock rims, they're made by Enkei.
they look good. I seen his car when he bought my exhaust. Kabob, what cha thinking about getting bro?
Old 07-02-2003, 12:39 PM
kabob

Nothing for now, I don't think. I like the looks of the stock gunmetals and wouldn't go with anything else unless I decide to upsize my rolling stock with 16" rims. I just don't use the Euro R rims that often so I figure I'll let one of my Championship White brothas give 'em some love