Notices

Tuning Wars (Power FC vs Hondata S200)

Old 04-30-2003, 10:35 AM
Trey

Here is the low down to this point.

I currently own a Power FC with Datalogit (base map changing interface hardware/software). Hondata has graciously supplied me an S200 System and P28 ECU.

I have become fairly familiar with the Power FC and tuning with it. That said there is one PFC guru in the east. Jack Harris of P1 Auto is a ninja tuner with the Power FC and has the dyno. The man with the Hondata skills to rival jack and the power FC is Steve Sakai from sgt-racing. I figured what better way to show the potential of the 2 systems other than to put in the Stock ECU, get a base run and then turn the respective guru loose with their system. Both parties seem to be receptive to the idea so we are hammering out the last few details.

I will post on ITRCA all our Findings. Due to Hondata's generosity all things being close to equal I will continue to run the Hondata after the tests. Matt at hondata was an invaluable part of Expo3 and has been a good freind since I met him at Expo1

Look for more info to come out soon, after we set a date. We are waiting on a few other parts as well. Time Frame I hope will be Mid to Late May but nothing is close to firm yet.

Thoughts or Input as to this test?

Trey
Old 04-30-2003, 10:40 AM
cetane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think before they get started they should arm wrestle.

Ill send you out the romulatior monday
Old 04-30-2003, 10:43 AM
Tony

Originally Posted by cetane
I think before they get started they should arm wrestle.
I vote for a drinking contest.
Old 04-30-2003, 10:49 AM
jetydosa

Results should be very intresting! Any wagers, odds?
Old 04-30-2003, 10:52 AM
cetane

OH Oh Wait I got it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[size=20:c5e42f215f]FULL CONTACT TUNNING!!!!!!!!!!! [/size:c5e42f215f]
They could body check each other, like gaurd the ecu from scoring programs.
Old 04-30-2003, 10:53 AM
Chris N

Sweet!

A ninja tuner fight!

I look forward to the results!!

Although... how will they be judged? by peak numbers, which are craptastically full of crap, or by the total areas under the hp and tq curve?

I vote for the total areas!

I'm with Evil on this one... full body ninja tuning. Anything goes.
Old 04-30-2003, 10:56 AM
Trey

It will definitely be area under the curve. I suspect peak numbers will be +/- 1 if areas are similar.

Area under the curve you say . . . Calculus anyone?
Old 04-30-2003, 11:04 AM
Chris N

Originally Posted by Trey
It will definitely be area under the curve. I suspect peak numbers will be +/- 1 if areas are similar.

Area under the curve you say . . . Calculus anyone?
Calculus is good stuff!

Chris - who enjoyed calc class (1 & 2) very much for some strange reason.
Old 04-30-2003, 03:59 PM
Aj

Yeah, if you need any one to do the Calc, I spent more time than I care to count in Calculus and Quantitative methodology...comes with being and MIS major I suppose....

Any way, definitely area under the curve, there really isn't any other way to get a real answer, though, the dyno does give you avg. gains...I guess we'll just have to find out, though I'm looking forward to it quite a bit...

Later,
Aj
Old 05-01-2003, 03:20 PM
descartesfool

Trey,

this sounds like a fun project. Have you decided if you are going to get the best maps for each with the same ignition and cam timing for an equal comparison, or are you just going to see which tuner gets the best at whatever timing works for him?

With regards to the area under the curve issue, I did a simulation for times in straights at Mosport with increased power lavels in different RPM bands, keeping area under the curve constant, and if you look at the thread I started at www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=404896, you will see where in the power band (with stock gearing and non stock gearing) you are going to reduce your lap time the most, and I would think this would apply to most tracks. I would concentrate tuning efforts in that RPM range.

I am looking forward to the results. Should be fun.