Notices

Tuning Wars (Power FC vs Hondata S200)

Old 05-01-2003, 05:28 PM
D

Originally Posted by Trey
Due to Hondata's generosity all things being close to equal I will continue to run the Hondata after the tests.
so, whatcha gonna do with the PFC after this? i could definatly use something better than the VAFC with the B's.

D
Old 05-01-2003, 06:54 PM
George Knighton

Originally Posted by Trey
It will definitely be area under the curve.
Judging from my own dyno plot, Jack's going to have his hands full beating Sakai's tuning.
Old 05-01-2003, 11:15 PM
Aj

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by descartesfool
I would think this would apply to most tracks. I would concentrate tuning efforts in that RPM range.
Yes, but different tracks, different places in the power band, it depends on how the course is laid out...for example, Moroso motorsports park, having a very fast car in the straits is a huge benefit, but at like Sebring Long course, it's more about handling and efficiency. In other words, there is no universal rpm range where it will be most affective in regards to road racing, you really just want a linear consistent power curve regardless of where it makes power.

Besides, trying to tune your car for each track differently, would be a very arduous task...

Later,
Aj
Old 05-02-2003, 03:52 AM
Trey

Originally Posted by D
[quote:f5aa60c4f2="Trey"]Due to Hondata's generosity all things being close to equal I will continue to run the Hondata after the tests.
so, whatcha gonna do with the PFC after this? i could definatly use something better than the VAFC with the B's.

D[/quote:f5aa60c4f2]

Gonna sell it. Why don't you come up for the P1 Event and Jack can put it right in and tune it up for you. . .
Old 05-02-2003, 05:45 AM
TypeR 801

I'd also like some subjective feedback on the two systems. 98% of the time we're not at WOT, so I'd be curious to hear your impressions of the tuning under part throttle acceleration....how the car responds in normal drving situations, mid range torque, responsiveness, etc.

In the VW world, chips were designed at least as much for part throttle as they were for full throttle and that's what made the chip such a great investment was the difference you felt in everyday driving.

While I agree I'll be just as interested as everyone else in the dyno curves, the subjective feedback on these two systems compared to each other and stock will be very important as well IMO.
Old 05-02-2003, 09:45 AM
Aj

Originally Posted by TypeR 801
In the VW world, chips were designed at least as much for part throttle as they were for full throttle and that's what made the chip such a great investment was the difference you felt in everyday driving.
I'm not sure which chips you invested in in your VW, but the GIAC and APR are incredibly unlinear, fidjity, and tempermental for the VW. There is also the Ubsolute, which surges terribly. They take a very well tunned car to begin with and make it faster, but also remove the finess it once had as far as drivability...it seems fly by wire doesn't respond well to modulation, and the chip tunners do nothing to change that when adding more power...Just my opinion, but it's based on all the complaints I've heard locally with guys in Mk 3 and Mk 4 VW's...

So if you want a comparison, Hondata uses all the stock drivers, and is very drivable. The only thing it doesn't have which I wish it did is a cold start map...That being said, it's one of the most drivable setups out there...

Later,
Aj
Old 05-02-2003, 04:03 PM
SMSP

Same day and dyno?
Old 05-02-2003, 05:48 PM
Trey

Originally Posted by SMSP
Same day and dyno?
Yes Sir.
Old 05-05-2003, 11:20 AM
TypeR 801

I have experience with GIAC, TT, & Neuspeed chips in 2.0L 16V and MKII and MKIII VR6's. The GIAC in the 97 GTI VR6 worked the best. Great throttle response, improved mileage, more torque everywhere. $25 upgrades for Cams, TB, etc. For $100 it was a fantastic mod!

Dunno about the drive by wire and the 1.8T's. I got out before buying an MKIV. Tired of the problems with the VW's. All the MKIII's VR6 owners raved about Garret, including me.

Originally Posted by Aj
[quote:e7f1b3cd4e="TypeR 801"]In the VW world, chips were designed at least as much for part throttle as they were for full throttle and that's what made the chip such a great investment was the difference you felt in everyday driving.
I'm not sure which chips you invested in in your VW, but the GIAC and APR are incredibly unlinear, fidjity, and tempermental for the VW. There is also the Ubsolute, which surges terribly. They take a very well tunned car to begin with and make it faster, but also remove the finess it once had as far as drivability...it seems fly by wire doesn't respond well to modulation, and the chip tunners do nothing to change that when adding more power...Just my opinion, but it's based on all the complaints I've heard locally with guys in Mk 3 and Mk 4 VW's...

So if you want a comparison, Hondata uses all the stock drivers, and is very drivable. The only thing it doesn't have which I wish it did is a cold start map...That being said, it's one of the most drivable setups out there...

Later,
Aj[/quote:e7f1b3cd4e]
Old 05-05-2003, 05:10 PM
Aj

Tru, I have a lot of friend who are really into Mrk 4's, but have all sorts of problems, especially with window regulators...

Any way.....