Notices

Need input

Old 04-08-2003, 11:28 AM
Stock97ITR#50

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need some input from you guys on which aftermarket clutches work well. I am probably going to have to upgrade to something slightly stronger than stock but still functional as a daily driver/ autocross clutch. If any of you all have an ACT, Clutchmasters, Etc.. drop a line on pros & cons and what you think so far.
Old 04-08-2003, 12:16 PM
Aj

Clutchmaster is the way to go, I had one of their clutches for quite a while, and was very happy with it, not to mention that it keeps the pedal feel pretty close to stock...

Later,
Aj
Old 04-08-2003, 06:06 PM
Trey

NOT Exedy Organic. I have not had my ACT HDSS long enough to endorse it but no trouble so far.
Old 04-09-2003, 07:36 AM
Stock97ITR#50

Thanks guys. I ordered a Clutchmaster last night directly for only $203. I was leaning toward a ACT HD but can't justify the cost (the car is NA with no nitrous). Plus, since I don't launch hard figured the OEM would be cool. I knew Exedy was not an option since people were bashing it and how it screwed up alot. Plus, I heard they use rebuilt ones.
Old 04-09-2003, 09:10 AM
Erik B

I'm running the ACT to...I'm boosted thoguht...they say the clutch will hold up to 330whp...just about what I'm shooting for.
Old 04-09-2003, 11:03 PM
Aj

Which clutchmaster clutch did you order just ot of curiosity, the FX100 or FX200, or something else????

Later,
Aj
Old 07-07-2003, 08:10 PM
ctrcivic

Hey i've been hearing about ACT clutches being harder on crank and tranny's compare to a Clutchmasters. Is this true? Any personal experiences?
thanks
Old 07-08-2003, 04:24 AM
Trey

Originally Posted by ctrcivic
Hey i've been hearing about ACT clutches being harder on crank and tranny's compare to a Clutchmasters. Is this true? Any personal experiences?
thanks
How woudl one clutch be harder on the tranny than another based on brand? The more extreme pressure plates or disc surfaces could add more initial force but that force after that on the tranny is based on the car's engine not the clutch.
Old 07-08-2003, 01:30 PM
hondafanatic

the springs on the clutch do a lot for saving the transmission. Why would one be harder then the other, well if there is a shock load presented by having stiffer springs, and stiffer enguagment with the flywheel the forces to the transmission are going to be greater and therefore harder on the transmission. A racing clutch is definatly going to be harder on the transmission than a stock one. Not to mention that RPM will have to be higher to properly enguage into first.

Please someone correct me if I am wrong, but thats how i see it