Notices

Don't Buy EAGLE Rods!!!!!!

Old 03-11-2003, 04:47 PM
Aj

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, my latest gripe is in the form of a rather sizable hole in my block. It turns out that Eagle skimped out on their rod bolts, and rather than using heavy duty rod bolts, they use cheap, small crapy ones. Of course now finding this out the hard way, I'm forced to wine and cry about it with little or no recourse in the matter. This time around I plan to use crowers, I guess which is what I should have used in the first place, which I ussualy do, but according to eagle their rods are of the same strength as all the other brands, but with a good deal less weight, so I figured, I'd give them a try with the hopes of a little more performance, and not to mention a couple hundred bucks less . Any way, to make a long story short, apparently the rod bolts on an eagle rod going bad are a common thing, especially in higher reving engines, so i've been told by every shop in town with the exception of the one that built my motor. At this point, I'm just glad the rod went on a down stroke, and the head remained unscathed. thank god.

Any way, I leave with this thought,

Don't Buy EAGLE!!!!!!!

Later,
Aj
Old 03-12-2003, 11:22 AM
Erik B

This is the 1st time I have ever heard someone not happy with eagle....dam sorry to hear that........
Old 03-12-2003, 12:15 PM
Aj

Well, although it may be the first time you've gotten word of it, before I can even explain my story to any of the local shops when I call up, as soon as I say I put a rod through the block of my all motor car, they ask me if I was running eagle rods, followed by laughing profusely.....

Any way, apparently it's a common thing, I guess the rod bolts on eagle rods just are not meant for high rpms, especially over long periods of time.

Later,
Aj
Old 03-12-2003, 12:34 PM
Erik B

well I guess it was only a matter of time before I heard. I'm going to have to check up cuz thats what I was going to run with my Turbo when I start building the block. Thanks......
Old 03-12-2003, 02:14 PM
JDMITR98
I love my ITR

NOT WHAT I NEEDED TO HEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! my motor just got done from the machine shop today- oh crap. that sucks bad. :cry:
yes, with eagle h beam rods. :evil:
Old 03-12-2003, 03:45 PM
Aj

Note, that this doesn't happen to every car they go on, but if I were you, I'd take it into serious consideration to sell the rods and get some crowers, they're really not that much more expensive, but a lot more reliable. I suppose it may not be a big deal, but....if you hear a strange hissing between gears, stop the car, drive it home nice and easy, and then replace the rods, cause that's the symptoms mine were having, I just didn't recognize it as being a problem......until......well, I don't want to relive the moment, but you get the idea

Good luck,
Aj
Old 03-16-2003, 05:56 PM
Type R 98

its a damn shame... are your Block components such as JE pistons reusable? or at least 3 of the 4? let us know
Old 03-16-2003, 09:39 PM
Aj

Yeah, three of the gour pistons I was using are reusable, but the forth has seen better days, and I was planning on sleeving it this go around, and going a little larger bore diameter, so they won't do me much good, and the rods, three of which are good, I wouldn't use any way. I'm hoping eagle will at the very least send me a new set of rods, this way I can at least sell them on ebay and pay for some part of a new set of crowers....

Later,
Aj
Old 03-23-2003, 11:25 AM
bbqman

Sorry to hear about the rod failure AJ. You know that the strength of a con-rod lies completely in the rod bolts. I know also for a fact the reason Carillo has a solid reputation as THE con-rod is because of their bolt strength.
I wonder what material Eagle uses for their bolts. I will look into it as i have at least 20 customer cars out there with these rods in them.
Personnally, when I recommend an engine build up, I go with Carillo but for most customers the price is out of the question, so we opt for Eagle which has become popular and economic these days. As far as i am concerned, they have no proven track record, and daily 8000+rpm may become their undoing.
Old 03-23-2003, 12:35 PM
Aj

They acutally contract out their rod bolts to ARP, but they dont use standard size ARP bolts, they have them make them to their spec. The Rod bolts are 9.5mm bolts that actually thread into the rod itself, but taper bown even from the already small 9.5mm down even further to like 8mm. Carillo as well as Pauter and crower are all good rods, I've used them all in past, but as for the eagle rods, it's the first time I've used non-stock rods on my car, and since the eagles were the lightest and cheapest, I figured they were a good bet. Boy was I wrong.

In any case, as far as cost goes, look into crowers new billet econolight, I think that's what they're called. They're like 200 less then the standard heavy duty crower rods.

Later,
Aj