Notices

Chicago auto show

Old 02-18-2003, 08:32 PM
joe s

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the pleasure of going to the Chicago Auto Show this past Friday. I make it a yearly event with some chums I grew up with. Saw some pretty good stuff. The new Evo looks a lot nicer in the flesh than the magazine pics - more integrated look. It was roped off so I couldn't get too close or get inside. Same for the WRX; has a real nice look to it. I would have loved to sit in it but it too was roped off. Honda didn't really have too much exciting, other than a fabulous burnt-orange $98,000 NSX! They did have a modified Accord (J-type? - don't recall) that looked pretty nice but not much else. They need to get on the stick here in the US - other companies are coming out with some decent stuff. We're certainly ripe for some new R products! I do think the Element is a cool vehicle.
Infinity G35 was really sharp; same driveline, shift feel, etc as the Z (which I liked a lot more than I thought I would); real nice integrated look; great alternative to the pricier 3 series.
I can hear you Mustang haters hiss from here, but the new Mustang concept (coupe) looked really sharp - a lot of touches from the original model. I think it will be a real hit if it comes to production as close to the concept as the magazines say. A nice alternative for the lover of good old American V8 muscle. Supercharged T-bird concept was awesome; some really nice retro interior touches, nice wheels, hood vents, detailing that I really liked.
GM took a real hike, except for trucks. Had 1 GTO, ugly color, up on a seemingly far-off stand without much fanfare - not a lot of hoopla for a supposed savior of GM performance. Looked a little too much like a Grand Prix for my liking. I'm sure it's fun with that 300HP V-8, tho. Caddy V16 concept was cool; didn't care as much for the RX8 as I thought I would. Lots of other stuff I'm sure I'm forgetting right now.
Your friendly AutoShow reporter is signing off. I kinda came away thinking that I'll keep my '98 Type R, at least until I can afford an Alpina Z8, 575 Maranello, or 911 Turbo...........