Notices

Short Shifter Problem??

Old 02-05-2003, 05:02 AM
ChampionshipR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im in the process of putting in my short shifter and new busnings and have come across one problem. The bushing inside the shifter right at the botton seems to be too small. When i hook it up to the shift linkage there is a gap about 3/4 of an inch. Im not sure if i would need to push out the busing that is already in the shifter and put in a longer one so it fits snug or is there supposed to be a gap after i put the bolt in it seems like there would be alot of play if i dont put the right size bushing in there. Any comments or suggetions would help but i dont remember this gap when i had done shifeters on my other cars. THANKS
Old 02-05-2003, 09:32 PM
Aj

Forgive me, but you lost me, what bushing at the bottome of the shifter... there are only 2 bushings on an ITR for the shifter, one at the tranny holding the retaining bar, and one stabilizing the shift cradle. The only other thing that may even resemble a bushing is the plastic shifter bearing that holds the actual shifter, which you shouldn't be replacing any way, unless you bought the B&M with the alluminum replacement.

One thing I've noticed about some aftermarket shifters are that at the bottom where the pivot for the linkage is, often it's not wide enough, and needs washers to space it out, which may or may not come with it. If this is what you're talking about, then Home Depot is the answer.

If not, describe your situation a little better...

Later,
Aj
Old 02-06-2003, 04:15 AM
Trey

maybe he means the metal bushings inside the the bushing behind the shifter. The 2 sleeves . . . .

Take some pics.
Old 02-06-2003, 05:21 AM
ChampionshipR

Thanks for the help AJ i wasnt to sure on how to describe the problem, but yeah it is the pivot point where the shifter hooks up to the linkage. I guess i will head out to home depot to fix my problem. Thanks.
Old 02-06-2003, 10:07 AM
Aj

Kool, glad I could help. Just remember when you do it, to put and equal amount of washers on each side, or as close as you can, and try and use ones that are pretty small, and make sure you DO NOT use locking washers, just normal ones are good. Try to get the hole in the washer as close to the size of the bolt that goes through them as you can....

Let us know how it turns out

Later,
Aj
Old 02-08-2003, 04:11 PM
ChampionshipR

Shifter is in works well. Havnet had a chance to take it out and try it yet cuz the car is still in storage :cry: i hate not bein able to drive it, wisconsin sucks, sometimes. However there is a little rattle from the shifter its hitting on the exhaust.had the same problem when i put one on my civic. oh well i can live with it. I wish there were more type R's in my area. But thats what u get for living in kenosha, o well.