Notices

Which muffler is best??

Old 12-29-2002, 09:20 PM
SanjayR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey i was intrested in a universal muffler for my 98 TYPE R. I was wondering what you all would recomend. My budget is like $200. I was looking into the Apexi N1 or the 5 Zigen fireball. I think both of those would look nice on the R. Does anyone recomend anythng for a good quiet as can be muffler.(besides stock).Thanks.
Old 12-30-2002, 04:28 PM
Aj

Both the mufflers you named are VERY loud, but what really makes any exhaust loud and raspy is the removal of your cat. Either way, some nice quiet mufflers include, the Apex-i world sport, the tanabe hyper, and the Greddy MX or SP. Not sure if any of them come in universal fitment, but to be honest, other then looks, and increasing the volume of your exhaust, you really won't see much of anything, if anything at all as far as power gains.

Good luck,
Aj
Old 12-30-2002, 09:53 PM
SanjayR

Yeah i just dont think that those would fit in my budget. My friend has a nice magnaflow on his civic (univ muffler) and it is almost silent, i was wondering if it might be because its a big muffler and canister. Are there any ways to tell if a muffler will be louder then others. I have my Cat and resonators stilll on.
Old 12-30-2002, 11:47 PM
type R fanatic

what about a silencer, would that help much at all?
Old 12-31-2002, 11:34 AM
Aj

A silencer would not only defeat the purpose, but would probably take away HP if your just doing a bolt on muffler.

As far as telling if something is loud, just ask someone on here, between the couple hundered people that surf the boards, I'd say we've heard pretty much every muffler out there. But if you're looking for a definitive answer on how to tell if one will be loud or not, there really is no way for sure, but generally, the larger the muffler, the smaller the sound, but as I said, that's not always the case.

Later,
Aj