Notices

mugen steering wheel, to replace oem,, legal or not??

Old 12-14-2002, 07:41 PM
cxSHOE
RareParts BountyHunter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

not sure if this question was answered or not,, but here goes.. a friend has a mugen steering wheel, and he wants to take off his oem steering wheel and put the mugy on. he lives in california. and it is not a track car. the question is, is it legal to drive without the airbag. does he have to put everything back to oem when he does a smog check? (not sure if the smog guys have a check list that they have to check off)

and i know the usual answers "well if the cop doesnt pull you over then your fine" or well just dont get into an accident"

whats the legality of it coming with air, and then taking the air out? legal or not?

thanks for the help
Old 12-15-2002, 01:45 PM
pUrExTc
殺生丸

No Airbag in CA is a no-no.
Old 12-15-2002, 03:25 PM
paul98itr

No air-bag in us on car equipped with air-bag is big no-no, not just cali :?
Old 12-15-2002, 03:51 PM
cxSHOE
RareParts BountyHunter

ok great thanks for the information....
Old 12-15-2002, 04:34 PM
paul98itr

I think you could get away with it though. I don't believe that is a legal reason to pull you over. There is no way he could tell from driving by, and thus would be discriminating. So if you stay out of trouble, you have nothing to worrie about!
Old 12-15-2002, 10:15 PM
Aj

I know for a fact that in the US, there is no law saying that you must have an air bag, I'm not sure about california specifically, but it's considered to be a luxury, not a mandated law, seat belts are a different story. Any way, another thing you may want to consider, is that if you insurance company finds out you were in an accident, does an inspection, and finds out you don't have an airbag and never told them about it, they have reason to drop you, and not pay for your accident, and for an extra 20% increase in insurance to not have an airbag, it's not worth it. Think about that one....

Later,
Aj
Old 12-15-2002, 11:45 PM
paul98itr

You are correct, there is no law mandating the use of srs. However, there is a law about tampering with a srs equiped vehicle, it pretty much says..."You are f*@ked if caught tamering with the system," in general terms. :lol: However, they can not justify a pull over for that, because the don't know if it has srs. When pulled over though and they see the passenger srs, they might get a bright idea!
Old 12-16-2002, 08:04 AM
Jan Niemi

An srs system is regarded as a "passive restraint system"
it is illegal to tamper with a passive restraint system.
Old 12-17-2002, 12:26 AM
JDMDC2turbo

In cali its definitely a big no no, as long as you dont get pulled over. And it doesnt matter if you have a good driving record...mine is clean and I still get pulled over (maybe because I'm Asian?who knows. Oh well right? Cant do nothing about it..they can mess with you no matter what as long as your car is fixed up.) Main thing is if your friend is getting his car smog there should be a problem..all they usually check is gas pressure, aftermaket headers or air filter. Usually if we have an air filter we can still pass.
Old 12-19-2002, 01:13 AM
SagaTypeR

I just took off my stock steering wheel, but I replaced it with a JDM ITR steering wheel. Good thing that the JDM is a SRS unit . But if you're going through a smog inspection, they just looking underneath your hood.

About being pulled over, ever since I lowered my ITR and installed some goodies in it, I haven't been pulled over for modified exhaust, being low etc. But yet all my friend's tell me they get pulled over :shock: .