Notices

Regular Gas in Type R

Old 12-01-2002, 12:22 PM
TypeR886

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stupid me, accidently put Regular gasoline in my car. I hit the wrong button and didnt realize it until I was finished filling up. I was looking at the money and it was really cheap and I was like OHH SHIT!

Will this hury my engine at all or is there somthing I should add to the gasoline to make it not hurt the engine? PLEASE HELP!
Old 12-01-2002, 01:01 PM
pUrExTc
殺生丸

GS-R/TYPE-R: You may subsitute for an unleaded regular gasoline. The engine will compensate for the lower octane, but you may notice a slight decrease in power as a result.

SOURCE: ACURA INTEGRA 1998 Owner's Manual.
Old 12-01-2002, 02:29 PM
2001gsr

Yeah, you'll be fine. . .at least you didn't throw LEADED gas in your tank. I was at Thunderhill a few months back and accidentally filled up my car, while talking to a guy with an RX7, with 105 octane. Oops. :shock:
Old 12-01-2002, 03:52 PM
TypeR886

Did the leaded gasoline do anything? What is the diff between the premium and regular... besides the octane. What hurts the engine in regular gas. And what did you do with the leaded gas in your take. Did you car suffer from it at all?
Old 12-01-2002, 04:23 PM
TypeR886

the 105 octane would be good tough right
isnt that race fuel?
Old 12-01-2002, 09:35 PM
Aj

leaded fuel isnt bad for your car, it just burn substancially hotter, which in turn can melt your catalytic converter as well as create lead deposits in your O2 sensors. If you put 105 in your car only once, it won't do any harm.

To get back to your questions about regular vs. premium, there is nothing harmful about regular, but your car runs fairly high compression with quite a bit of timing, so you really want to run higher octane. Your car can compensate for lower octane fuel for some degree, but not really all that much, so it's not something i would recomend, especially if your hard on your car. The actuall differences in the gas are some of the additive packages and detergents, but realistically, the only main difference is the octane raiting.

The thing you really don't want to do is put diesel gas in your car, that would suck!!!!

Later,
Aj
Old 12-02-2002, 07:12 AM
TypeR886

Well, I have added octane booster and some fuel injector cleaner to this tank of gas. Somebody mentioned in another forum not to rev very high on this tank of gas. Well after adding the octane booster and fuel injector cleaner.... is it now safe?

This does not mean that im going to; I just want to kill this tank of gas to get back to my normal driving habits (fun driving, not racing)

This pissed me off so bad that I did this. I am more cafeful about my car than this... my mind was wondering when I hit the f*ckin button (REGULAR). They need to take that sh*t off the market :?

Thanks for any information guys!
Old 12-02-2002, 01:31 PM
Aj

You probably could, but, I wouldn't recomend it, especially given that it's not worth it.

If I were you, i'd just ride around and kill it off, then have at it.

Later,
Aj
Old 12-02-2002, 08:26 PM
kabob

Understand something about those octane ratings. Higher octane gas just raises the threshold at which your gasoline will tolerate heat before detonating. If you use lower octane gasoline in a high compression engine (especially on a hot day), you will hear some pinging from your engine meaning that the gas is detonating from the heat rather than a spark. BUT, your ECU compensates for lower octane by retarding your ignition timing which means that you will get a small decrease in power output. You can run forever safely on 87 octane gas in the ITR but you'll never get the same performance as consistently using 93 octane.
Old 12-03-2002, 12:08 AM
2001gsr

In regards to the leaded gas, basically what Aj mentioned in his first paragraph. My main concern was the catalytic converter and the 02 sensors. Fortunately, it didn't cause any lasting harmful effects. :wink: