Notices

Question about ITR idle

Old 11-16-2002, 07:35 AM
FBP ITR#00-0202

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I have been driving and I come to a red light, or some place where I have to stop.. The car idles up at like 1500rpm for about 10-15 seconds.. after that it drops down to normal.. What could be causing that? It's pretty damn annoying at times.
Old 11-16-2002, 05:49 PM
bbasso

Normal, all of the ITRs do it, including mine.
Old 11-16-2002, 09:08 PM
B2FiNiTY

Completely normal.
Old 11-17-2002, 01:09 PM
Aj

Actually thats not quite tru, and it's not normal.

I'm not sure why yours does it, but it's ussualy if you've messed with either your TPS, or you IAC.

I actually switched to OBD1, which has caused a whole world of problems with my idle, but before I switched recently, when I was using my stock ECU, or when I switch back, nothing like that happens, if I drop the clutch it always goes back to about 850 rpms regardless of how I was driving. Out of all the ITRs I've driven at the shop. I've never noticed that any of them do it.......Not saying that none of them have, I just figure that would be one of those more noticable things, as you said, it would be pretty annoying.

If it's still under warranty, take it back to the dealer, and they'll hook it up to the computer, and make sure all the readouts, are with in the specified parameters.

Good luck......
Old 11-18-2002, 03:34 AM
Trey

Could be worse mine fluctuates idle after it has been run hard. then stabilizes.
Old 11-18-2002, 11:05 AM
bbasso

OH! The five Rs I have been in all do the idle thing then rest at 850-900.
go figure some do some don't.
Old 11-18-2002, 04:28 PM
pUrExTc
殺生丸

My ITR idles around 1500 RPM when started on a cold engine, but after it's all warmed up, it likes to sit around 900 RPM. However, if you sit there and turn your steering wheel this way and that, it kind drops a bit (same as if you turn on your A/C). But I've never heard of stopping at a stop light, and having it raise up, and then drop.
Old 11-18-2002, 08:05 PM
itr

Originally Posted by FBP ITR#00-0202
If I have been driving and I come to a red light, or some place where I have to stop.. The car idles up at like 1500rpm for about 10-15 seconds.. after that it drops down to normal.. What could be causing that? It's pretty damn annoying at times.
happens to me also. i think it idles higher when the fan turns on.
Old 11-19-2002, 05:39 AM
00ITR#756

I believe the reason for this is emissions related. The idle is kept high while leaning out the fuel mixture to lower emission. When the throttle blade slam shut, the fuel mxture is still very rich. This is checked during a smog test. Here in Massachusetts, the cars are accelerated on a dyno at a certain rate to 30 MPH. At 30 MPH, the gas is released, thus closing the throttle blades and causing the emissions to go up. If you don't let the car idle down, you won't get that spike in emissions. This is the way car manufacturers get around smog tests. Car pollute worst at idle.
Old 11-19-2002, 07:54 AM
pUrExTc
殺生丸

ok, this isn't like some life or death for my car question, but i am curious. start your car (cold motor, might work warm, but never tried it). Sit there and watch your RPM on your tach. While still on a cold motor, turn the steering wheel this way and that. as you turn it, did you notice your rpm drop, and hear the valves reset? when you stopped turning it, did your rpm go back to normal warming range? why does it do this? (leave your E-Brake up, so you're not moving, of course).