Notices

adjustable coilovers...any thoughts?

Old 10-15-2002, 02:42 PM
quikRthanU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was looking to drop my car a little bit...i found a set of adjustable coilovers for sale from 129-179 sounds like a good deal.
is it something that i can install myself or do i need to take it to a shop and
if so how much should that run me?
sportin a 01 py R :twisted:
Old 10-15-2002, 03:39 PM
bbasso

Not to flame you but have you experienced the R on the track yet?

I think you should take a couple of laps with a HPDE and see what the car can do first- Most people that go with a inexspensive suspension upgrade find that the stock handles better.

Just food for thought :wink:
Old 10-15-2002, 10:24 PM
ITR-00-1457

IF YOU ARE ASKING THESE TYPES OF QUESTIONS MAYBE YOU SHOULD DO SOME RESEARCH FIRST. AND PLEASE STAY AWAY FROM CHEAP PARTS, THIS IS A TYPE R WE ARE TALKING ABOUT. I RUN WITH APEXi N1 COILOVERS, PRICEY BUT WELL WORTH IT.
Old 10-16-2002, 05:08 AM
bbqman

hey guys , while we are on the subject of dampers.....I just want your opinion on Koni yelows.
I swear by these since all my civics and crx's have had them.

I was told however, aside from their adjustability in damping, but no rebound, they are not much better than stock ITR units.

The reason I ask this is that I race it in auto-x and time trials and I run the bone stock class , that allows only damper changes.
While I agree with you guys that this is the best Stock suspension that a car comes with, are Konis worth the upgrade????
Old 10-16-2002, 12:54 PM
Trey

Konis are a good upgrade but if I recall correctly there is an issue where the rears are either not available or are not adjustable for a US R.

As for cheap coilovers I woudl advise against it. You didn't buy a type-R to cheap out on parts. Have a little respect for the car and think quality.

As for if he has raced it or not, adjusting the look of the car is clearly his choice outside of if he knows how to drive it. I would say that using a part that makes handling worse while improving the look he wants is more the issue. At the very least Ground Controls for coilover sleevs and these should be looked at very closely for spring rates and drops should be very very minimal unless you intend to change the shocks as well. Ground controls are great budget option when paired with good shocks.

FYI, I run TEIN HA's and my next chnage will be to Zeal B6's
Old 10-16-2002, 05:10 PM
quikRthanU

wasnt trying to be flamed but trying to get a little insight from some r owners...thats all its good too know that he stock suspension is better than most upgrades offered out there
havent autocrossed it yet just gone for some 1/4 runs
Old 10-17-2002, 06:18 PM
Erik B

I got the Apexi WS damper kit. There easy to adjust but tell you the truth the stock suspension felt better in turns......oh well I just had to drop then car...I think it looks alot better. The N1's were a lil out my range. I paid I think $850 shipped. I think the N1's were like 1300 or 1400. I like them though. But the stock was much stiffer I think. These make the ride a lil more comforable :roll: I don't auto X.
Old 10-17-2002, 10:51 PM
C2CTypeR

Originally Posted by Erik B
I got the Apexi WS damper kit. There easy to adjust but tell you the truth the stock suspension felt better in turns......oh well I just had to drop then car...I think it looks alot better. The N1's were a lil out my range. I paid I think $850 shipped. I think the N1's were like 1300 or 1400. I like them though. But the stock was much stiffer I think. These make the ride a lil more comforable :roll: I don't auto X.
I agree with Erik B. I got the same setup Apex-i WS kit. Love how it handles. Also looks really good.
Old 10-18-2002, 07:22 AM
bbasso

quikRthanU, If you have some time come to Limerock on Nov 11th and enjoy

take a look: http://www.nasanortheast.org/
Old 10-18-2002, 07:41 AM
Monster-R

Originally Posted by Trey
As for cheap coilovers I woudl advise against it. You didn't buy a type-R to cheap out on parts. Have a little respect for the car and think quality.
TOTALLY AGREE!

Suspension is probably one of the most important modifications.

DO NOT CHEAP OUT ON IT!

i saved and saved and saved..and eventually got Buddyclub Racing Spec Dampers!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

definately worth the sacrifice!