Notices

Question about major water leak in rear ?

Old 02-28-2004, 01:41 AM
DavE96GsR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about major water leak in rear ?

whats up everyone, just registered for the board and thought id start it off with a leak Q :P my names dave and i purchased a red 96 gsr about 3 months ago from a 40-45 year old man who had owned it since it was 1 year old...

i bought it stock and have made a few mods since...will make a post saying whats up on all that tomm...

ok so i have a major leak issue in the rear of my car...whenever it rains out and i drive around in the rain i accumulate a nice sized puddle in the trunk of my car under the spar-tire....sometimes i also get a little water build up under the rear-passenger and driversides seats...i have the back half of the car completely gutted to address the leak issues...

** Has anyone had anything similar to this happen or has anyone heard of any common leak issues associated with integras?

*I assume the leak is not coming from the hatchback or the sunroof, i sprayed those down with a hose for about 10 mins and had minor leak issues coming from the hatch draining towards the rear...it ran off near the tailight housing inside into the rear wheel well which is where i get major leak issues but the leaks were very small and i dont see how such small leaks would leave 5-15 cups of water back there?

i would appreciate feedback because if i do not get this problem solved it will lead to the sale of my precious i dont know what kind of problems a major leak like this could cause, rusting, rotting, shit falling apart, u get my drift.....

thanks in advance,
dave
Old 02-28-2004, 02:17 AM
Kai
Rotorphile.

There is really only two ways that water can get back there, the two being a leaky taillight gasket and the rear hatch gasket. Strangely enough, I would imagine the only way to get it all over the driver's seat would be the moonroof.

If you find a leak, fix it. even if it is only letting a few drops in a minute, remember, those few drops add up to a lot of water after eight hours of constant rain.

The rubber on the car is already eight to nine years old, so don't be suprised if it all could need replacement. It's not likely all three areas need it, but it won't hurt.
Old 02-28-2004, 05:36 AM
qball
My 1.8T is not a VW !!!

my 96 lsT does the same thing. I think my leak is coming from the hatch seal.
Old 02-28-2004, 06:27 AM
newgsrdriver

Definitely check your taillight gaskets.
Old 02-28-2004, 05:43 PM
GSR4444

My 95 gsr does exactly the same thing. I bought it a couple of months ago, and i was checkin the spare tire, and there was about 3 inches of water in the back. I suspect that this is the reason why all integras have a sort of "mold" smell.
Old 02-28-2004, 06:44 PM
OregonHusker

It's probably your moonroof. Do a search on the topic and you'll find out why.
Old 02-28-2004, 06:48 PM
GSR4444

Originally Posted by OregonHusker
It's probably your moonroof. Do a search on the topic and you'll find out why.
Why everyone thinks it is the moonroof is unknown to me. It is in the back, under the carpet and piece of wood and under the spare tire, it has nothign to do with the actual interior of the car.
Old 02-28-2004, 07:58 PM
DavE96GsR

sorry if i confused u, i meant the rear passenger and rear driverside seats had a lil water under them, so the rear seats not the front seats....:P

no way it could be leaking from below ?

ya it is def leaking from the rear tailight gaskets on both lights, i just cant imagine those small leaks lead to a huge puddle, ill try and fix those and see what happens, hopefully that will solve some of the leaking issues...

thx for all the help sp far, keep it coming

dave
Old 02-28-2004, 08:03 PM
DavE96GsR

GSR444, some reason mine smells just fine :\ i pulled out the rear seats and found mold growing on the rear passenger seat on the bottom of it....=\ so i gutted the back and just left the side panels on, but i originally gutted the entire rear and it looked to be in good shape, i cleaned some of the dirt up and what not tho...

BIG MAYBE from the sunroof...if ima figure that out then i would need to gut the top interior which i dont really want to do...and ther is no noticeable leak spots coming from up top....
Old 02-28-2004, 08:54 PM
NIXONride
surfer

Originally Posted by DavE96GsR
BIG MAYBE from the sunroof...if ima figure that out then i would need to gut the top interior which i dont really want to do...and ther is no noticeable leak spots coming from up top....
lol no...that's not what they're speaking of. It's nothing behind the top interior.... You don't need to or want to gut your top interior stuff.

Originally Posted by GSR4444
Why everyone thinks it is the moonroof is unknown to me. It is in the back, under the carpet and piece of wood and under the spare tire, it has nothign to do with the actual interior of the car.
ok here it is.... the moonroof has a drain tube which is behind the side panels in the rear of the hatch. It's a tube that runs from the moonroof all the way back behind the panels to the rear and just has a rubber head that connects to a hole inside/behind the rear bumper. It's a very cheap looking/made drain tube we have in our integra's. It's the most popular reason for water in the rear of your hatch. The drain tube from that, falls out very easily. The water ends up where your spare tire is or was usually. Just one of many problems we get with an integra. I recommend joining www.team-integra.net for their useful articles on maintenance specifically for Integra's only.

-dustin

Quick Reply: Question about major water leak in rear ?