Notices

Exhaust Questions...

Old 07-29-2002, 05:49 PM
sinfestboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you do not need any back pressure for a NA engine.

NONE if you removed the header, that would be best, besides the fact that you would set your engine bay on fire.
Old 07-29-2002, 06:36 PM
thx247

There will always be back pressure, there is no way an engine can exhale gas without some resistance. The ideal exhaust header is one with as little back pressure as possible.

The exhaust manifold is very important for two reasons, it allows the exhaust gases from other pistons to create a low pressure area which pulls air from the intake valves which swirls in the piston chamber. Without this low pressure area less air would be pulled into the piston chamber. A benifit from having back pressure is air entering the piston chamber from the intake side hits turbulant exhaust air. This further mixes the air and fuel which results in a cleaner burn. The better the burn the more power the engine will produce.

power = air and fuel

the more air and fuel in the piston chamber the better. You need to run a header unless your running forced air, and that another completely different way to make power.
Old 07-29-2002, 06:38 PM
SuperSlow87
H-A G/\|v|3R

How about the short answer, use a ITR ex. or a close copy
Old 07-29-2002, 06:43 PM
thx247

that you jigg? you cac

i got my face full of ribs from the beach now...sheat
Old 07-29-2002, 06:44 PM
sinfestboy

Originally posted by thx247
There will always be back pressure, there is no way an engine can exhale gas without some resistance. The ideal exhaust header is one with as little back pressure as possible.

The exhaust manifold is very important for two reasons, it allows the exhaust gases from other pistons to create a low pressure area which pulls air from the intake valves which swirls in the piston chamber. Without this low pressure area less air would be pulled into the piston chamber. A benifit from having back pressure is air entering the piston chamber from the intake side hits turbulant exhaust air. This further mixes the air and fuel which results in a cleaner burn. The better the burn the more power the engine will produce.

power = air and fuel

the more air and fuel in the piston chamber the better. You need to run a header unless your running forced air, and that another completely different way to make power.
your post would be right, except for one MAJOR problem that voids it all.

the exhaust manifold doesnt create a low pressure area. at all. even a little bit. no. sorry. it doesnt.
Old 07-29-2002, 06:46 PM
SuperSlow87
H-A G/\|v|3R

Originally posted by thx247
that you jigg? you cac

i got my face full of ribs from the beach now...sheat
Then kick some of that shizzy this way
Old 07-29-2002, 06:48 PM
thx247

hot exhaust gas evacuating from the piston chamber WILL pull cooler intake air into the piston chamber.

if this was not true we would not experince weather.
Old 07-29-2002, 06:54 PM
sinfestboy

actually, heat only adds to the effect of air density. the air leaving the cyllinder moves faster, and thus pulls in the intake air during valve overlap. however, the header restricts this air and decreases this effect.

the header doesnt help. dont argue with me, I know what I am talking about.
Old 07-29-2002, 06:56 PM
sinfestboy

most of the stuff you are saying is CORRECT untill you bring the header into it. it isnt your fault, you have had bad honda people putting these ideas in your head.

*notice I said bad honda people. there are good honda people, as I am quickly learning.
Old 07-29-2002, 07:17 PM
thx247

these facts were not actually gained on this board, I'm just the messenger.

c/o -mr2.org and freshalloy.net

Quick Reply: Exhaust Questions...