Notices

b18a1 Vital Questions!!!!

Old 12-02-2003, 10:02 PM
menappi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default b18a1 Vital Questions!!!!

alright so i just traded my crx with dohc zc for this guys 91 hatch with ls motor, and i have some questions.

first he said it had lsd, and i dont really know what that looks like, but how could i check if it really did?

second the car shakes mad when running! he told me he had a metal peice welded to the front of the transmission and then to the core support i believe, to reduce the engine movement which makes better response? could that be why it shakes ?

what year is the motor made in..? i know its 90-93 but how could i tell?

he said its 'j spec', whats the difference between this and jdm, or how do i tell if its usdm or not, cause i dont knwo if he was lying.

also, when i drive i hear this horrid screaching from my passanger side wheel, and slowly speeds up as i increase speed, sort of a clicking squeeling, and when i slow down it gets louder, softer as i drive faster. i saw the outer cv boot was ripped, but would that make it squeel? maybe a wheel bearing? how do i replace that?

lastly, i need a diagram or pictures of how to set up the vacuum lines. ther are a few that dont go anywhere or that are plugged, and i want to know where they go.

ANY HELP please, thanks!
Old 12-02-2003, 10:27 PM
Epoch
CHRISTMASTIME IN IRAQ

Wow... umm... LSD's are difficult to spot, because they're completely in the transmission... one way to check (And this is by far one of the dumbest ideas I've ever had, but it will work) would be to go to a parking lot where there's some gravel and concrete next to each other... position your tires so one's on the concrete and one's on the gravel, and give it some gas... if the one on the gravel spins like mad, then you don't have a LSD... if it spins, then the tire on the pavement grips, then you have one.

The whole tranny-welding thing he did was to eliminate wheel hop (Quarter mile stuff), but what he did was an absolute ghetto route that's IMO really stupid when he could have gone with cheap urethane bushings...

Forgot how to tell the year on the serial number on the engine.

j-spec=jdm, and I can't give a definate answer on this too (Don't know too much about B18a)

ripped CV boot = bad, but it's less of a squeal and more of a rapid click than anything, and should happen most around acceleration and turning... I'd check the brake IMO

Send us a pic of your engine bay and we'll direct you about the vacuum lines
Old 12-02-2003, 11:52 PM
9600baud
JDM rox ur world

LOL the gravel thing would work but ... damn, sounds harsh having all that gravel flying everywhere, better off getting some sand or something instead.
Old 12-02-2003, 11:57 PM
Spec R

Get the front of your car on jackstands, and with the engine off of course, put it in neutral, and spin one of the front wheels. Get a friend to see if the other side spins the opposite direction, kinda like an RC car. (i'm pretty sure of this, but i can be wrong)
Old 12-03-2003, 12:17 AM
txhatch
I hate 2003 Noobs.

Originally posted by Spec R
Get the front of your car on jackstands, and with the engine off of course, put it in neutral, and spin one of the front wheels. Get a friend to see if the other side spins the opposite direction, kinda like an RC car. (i'm pretty sure of this, but i can be wrong)
You got it. :thumbup:

Most likely the motor isnt a jdm one and even if it was who cares. I know jdm b18b's were 9.4:1 instead of 9.2:1 but not sure about the 2nd gens.

I bet if you replace that cv joint it will fix the noise when turning and the shaking under acceleration.
Old 12-03-2003, 12:21 AM
Spec R

Originally posted by txhatch
You got it. :thumbup:

Most likely the motor isnt a jdm one and even if it was who cares. I know jdm b18b's were 9.4:1 instead of 9.2:1 but not sure about the 2nd gens.

I bet if you replace that cv joint it will fix the noise when turning and the shaking under acceleration.
:werd: to the whole post, txhatch. :thumbup:
Old 12-03-2003, 12:41 AM
Epoch
CHRISTMASTIME IN IRAQ

Originally posted by Spec R
I knew there had to be a safe and sane way to check that.
Old 12-03-2003, 01:46 AM
g2tegls
MR, ftw

b18a is a USDM motor only (and canada)
Old 12-03-2003, 03:15 AM
pomansouth

damnit i was about to say that
Old 12-03-2003, 11:04 AM
menappi

ok well im going to replace the axel today, or should i just replace the boot? cause i bet it hasn thad greas, but i dunno if i should just do the boot or the whole thing. and the noise is loudest when im going slow, and its sorta a metal on metal sqeeling griding noise. i was told it was the wheel bearing..where and how do i fix that??? i cant find it in my manual.

and about the part where the transmission is connected to the core support, should i take that off if i dont want my car to shake, cause at lower rpms is SHAKES like no other. was there suppost to be a front tranny mount?

and ill post apic of my vacuum lines to see if something is wrong.

thanksss.