Notices

Gas gauge/ tank capacity question

Old 11-24-2003, 03:50 PM
missabbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas gauge/ tank capacity question

I've had a couple issues with my '98 teg's gas gauge. First the pump stops filling like the tank's full and even if I top if off (which you're not supposed to do), it never registers full. Also, I've run the tank down to the low fuel warning light, and the most I can get into the tank is about 11 gal, but the specs claim it's got a 13.2 gallon tank. Does anyone know how much gas you still have once that light goes on? Thanks!
Old 11-24-2003, 03:52 PM
kfar09

it usually comes on and stays on with about 2 gallons left
Old 11-24-2003, 03:57 PM
Epoch
CHRISTMASTIME IN IRAQ

Stock gauges are horribly inaccurate... Hell, my gas gauge goes at different rates depending on how much gas is left in the thank (I can go 90 miles and have it say that I've only used 1/6th of a tank, but when I hit 180, it's all the way to half capacity).

And you shouldn't put the car any less than quarter full, if you can avoid it.... your teggy's pump and fuel filter will love you mucho :thumbup:

Oh, and a little topping off is OK... unfortunately in my teggy, some times I can top off no problem, and other times when I top off, I over pressurize my tank and end up spilling some gas :sad:
Old 11-24-2003, 08:52 PM
ska32198

I've read it's never less than a half so the impurities in the gas never get sucked into the engine. my brother let his porsche go down to almost empty after getting gas in kansas and had engine problems for weeks afterwards... it not worth leaving it to chance.
Old 11-24-2003, 09:11 PM
forum95
I'm Cooler than You

Originally posted by Epoch
Stock gauges are horribly inaccurate... Hell, my gas gauge goes at different rates depending on how much gas is left in the thank (I can go 90 miles and have it say that I've only used 1/6th of a tank, but when I hit 180, it's all the way to half capacity).
My friends GSR is the same way, his gas tank is incredibly inaccurate, when he goes on hills and stuff his gas tank shifts from full to 3/4 tank and stuff like that.
Old 11-30-2003, 09:15 AM
Batouttahell
what did you dream?...

My fuel gauge will actually pass the "F" after I've driven the car a mile or two after filling up.
When my low-fuel warning light used to work (I drive past that point so much I've burned out the bulb), I figured on 2 gallons left, 1.2 gallons to be safe.
There are two schools of thought on the "Gee, I don't want the sediments in the bottom of the tank to be disturbed" issue. The first is run down to that level often, & they won't accumulate.
The second way of thinking is don't run it empty, & they'll magically stay put, like you never slosh the tank around anyway under "normal" driving.
The only true advantage to the "empty: don't go there" thinking is the condensation that occurs in the emptier tank (Which is also normally burned off if the car's used frequently).
Horsepower junkies will also say-" why carry around an extra 60-70 lb.s of fuel(?)."
-W-
If your gauge is grossly inaccurate, you could yank the back seat, remove the sending unit, check for good electrical ground, & inspect the movement of the float for crud, and/or alignment.
Old 11-30-2003, 09:38 AM
LT
The deer had to die!

2 gallon warning. And the stock gauges aren't inaccurate, just slow. While your driving there will be a 1 gal delay in amount left and what is showing on the gauge.
Old 12-01-2003, 09:16 AM
91TEG4DR

I always count on 2 gallons of gas when that light goes on, and have never run out yet...knock on wood. I do experience inaccurate readings while on a hill, but other than that the gauge is bang-on.
Old 08-14-2005, 12:08 PM
95ac.teg

so ok is the fuel tank capacity 11 gallons. Because i read under the specs that fuel tank capacity is 13 gallons so is that counting the 2 gallon reserve tank? Thats what im confused about.
Old 08-14-2005, 12:13 PM
WiseGuyOnCouch
Live, Die, & Drive Fast!

yes it has a 13 gallon tank, I ran mine all the way down one time on accident cuz the one gas station on the road was closed! and it took me just over 13 gallons to fill it up...thank god for redneck friends with truck-bed tanks! haha!