Notices

N/A or Turbo, All Comments Welcomed

Old 11-12-2003, 03:42 PM
CiViC2nR86
JDM Padawin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default N/A or Turbo, All Comments Welcomed

What are the most common N/A VTEC Setup for the b16a and the b18c? Is it just basically aggressive VTEC Cams, Pistons, Rods, Crank, Lighten Flywheel, P&P+Balancing, Injectors, and reprogram ECU?

What do you guys think are the Pro's and Con's of ALL Motor? All I can think of is that the All Motor route is more expensive, but will last longer than FI Applications.

Also In your reply, please post what setup would you go, N/A or FI, with your reasons of choosing that route to help me decide. Thanx in Advance, Hope you guys can persuade me to go all motor because I am stuck with the fact that Turbo is the Only way to go for 11-13 second runs.
Old 11-12-2003, 05:27 PM
dubcac
I

All motor does not last longer than FI. Tuning is key. A high revving all out N/A motor has the same pitfalls as any FI motor.

N/A buildups generally include higher displacement, higher compression, forged rods/pistons, lightened crankshaft, lightened flywheel, cams/springs/retainers, intake manifold, full exhaust, p&p, balancing, injectors, and some kind of engine management, IE hondata.

A well tuned turbo motor can last just as long as a built N/A motor as long as you have correct tuning. Ultimately, a built motor with boost is going to be faster in the long run than an N/A motor, and you can always squeeze out more HP by adding boost. Keep in mind that you'll need a built motor AND a turbo setup, and engine management as well.
Old 11-12-2003, 08:54 PM
MidgeX

did u say n/a b16a and b18c?
go for the boosted b18b
Old 11-12-2003, 09:07 PM
CiViC2nR86
JDM Padawin

I guess boosting is also the cheaper way to go, anyone fighting for the All Motor side of the arguement?
Old 11-12-2003, 09:21 PM
DVPGSR
I need sleep...

I am building for all-motor. I just feel that Honda's were meant to be N/A so that is how I like to keep them. (No offense intended to the bossting guys here) Plus I think it is more of a challenge to build a very fast all-motor car as opposed to slapping on a turbo and praying you motor doesn't pop. So many people around here do this and it pisses me off because they have no clue about their cars or their motors. Many do it without tuning as well.
Old 11-12-2003, 09:58 PM
CiViC2nR86
JDM Padawin

Wat do you guys mean when it comes to tuning a boosted car? I know for N/A is just basically VTEC engagement, timing, cam lobe positions etc..
Old 11-12-2003, 11:00 PM
Shore 96 Teg
I miss my 93 VTEC Lude :(

tuning a boosted motor includes reprogramming the ECU so you can adjust air fuel mixture, adjusting the boost to an appropriate level. Theres a lot of other stuff that you have to do that i cant think of off the top of my head. I do know it requires a lot of time on a dyno. A tuned turboed motor will run faster than the same motor with the same turbo setup that is not tuned. Boost controllers and aftermarket ECU's are almost essential to the longevity and performance of a boosted motor. I guess if you want to include the upgrading the internals in tuning, thats another thing you have to do if you want to run higher boost numbers.
If you want to go turbo and you want to be cheap about it, plan on blowing your sh!t up. You just cant cut corners.
Old 11-13-2003, 01:43 AM
dubcac
I

Originally posted by CiViC2nR86
Wat do you guys mean when it comes to tuning a boosted car? I know for N/A is just basically VTEC engagement, timing, cam lobe positions etc..

Tuning out detonation. IE adding fuel, retarding ignition timing...you can also tune cam gears and vtec engagement as well. The best way to run a boosted motor is with a stand alone engine management that is fully tunable. Most people simply run a high flow/high pressure inline fuel pump with an FMU that raises fuel pressure per pound of boost. This is the worst way to go.
Old 11-13-2003, 07:38 AM
twin3037

i prefer all motor first because the engine are made to be na and it's much harder to make an na fast, but also the car's fwd and turbo tracti0on just start becoming a problem i eventually want a turbo car but it's gonna be awd because theres nothing like pulling up to a car that jsut stayed with u from a roll and then ripping 5 cars on him from the luanch
Old 11-13-2003, 05:37 PM
MrFatbooty
Wannabe yuppie

Both are good. This question has no answer.

To help you chose, decide on how much power you want to make and how much money you want to spend to make it.