Notices

Integra Problems

Old 10-25-2003, 11:55 PM
lightsped

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Integra Problems

I have started experience 2 problems on my '96 LS and would like to get some feedback on them.

1. ABS light is on. Reading the codes, it appears that the main ABS unit is faulty. Not that big of a deal, but it occassionally starts pumping the unit. And, if this happens while I'm braking, the pedal pushes back. Is there an easy way to just disable it? Or any other ideas on quick fixes?

2. There's a weird noise when I turn (usually left). Almost like a gentle metallic rubbing noise. Is this a bad wheel bearing? Any other ideas? Easy fix?

Thanks!
Old 10-26-2003, 12:29 AM
Daniel

On question number two. I'd get your car on ramps or jackstands and take a look at your outboard CV joint. If the boot is busted, you've lost grease and this would be the cause. Replace the axle for about $80.00 from Autozone.

If it's fine, jack your car up, support it, then try to move the wheel side to size and up and down. If it moves, your wheel bearing has gone bad. You'll need a shop to press them in so I'd seek a trusted mechanic for that work.
Old 10-27-2003, 06:45 AM
JimBlake

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

For the noise, check to see if it's the worn-out brake pad indicator. It's a little metal finger on the inboard pad that scrapes against the rotor. Usually makes a fingernail-on-chalkboard screetching sound, but once when it's just starting to rub mine sounded pretty much like you describe.

Wheel bearing can make grinding noises if it's getting TIGHT as it fails. Getting loose isn't the only way for a wheel bearing to fail.
Old 10-27-2003, 08:57 AM
DVPGSR
I need sleep...

For the ABS just take the fuse out. That should make is stop pumping the brakes.
Old 10-27-2003, 08:53 PM
lightsped

Thanks for input. I'll give it all a try when I have the time and let you know how it goes.
Old 10-28-2003, 03:28 AM
Deagle
Nüb

retorque your wheel lugs. if they're uneven, the disc will warp and rub on the pad even when you're not breaking.