Notices

Brake light on dash

Old 10-14-2004, 03:34 PM
fgfournet
R ENVY

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake light on dash

I have just bled the brakes on my R and now every time I push the brake the brake light on the dash comes on momentarily. Wonder what the problem could be.
Old 10-14-2004, 04:58 PM
George Knighton

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could be a few things.

If the brake fluid isn't above the fill line in the master cylinder, then the light can come and go as the pressure causes the fluid to rise and fall in relation to the switch attached to the cap's float.

If you weren't careful to tighten the bleed valves correctly, then you could have a minor pressure leak that will trip the brake warning. Check to see if you're leaking brake fluid at the calipers, at the bleed valves or at the seals.

How does the pedal feel? Is it soft or firm the way it should be? Does it slowly sink to the floor? If it slowly sinks to the floor and you cannot find a brake fluid leak at the calipers, it's possible your master cylinder has gone bad.

Unfortunately, what often happens is that when people work on the ITR brakes they will push the pedal to the floor in the bleeding process.

This will push the MC piston beyond where it would normally travel in the MC housing, and this will push it beyond rough places and corrosion in the MC that it would not normally encounter.

This causes shredding of the seal, unfortunately.

If this is what you've done, then an MC replacement is on the horizon. Luckily, they're not ruinously expensive.

Please come back and let us know how this turns out.
Old 10-16-2004, 07:05 AM
XSrcing

if you just bled the brakes, i would have to say that you are just low on fluid. top it off and let us know how things go.
Old 10-16-2004, 02:22 PM
fgfournet
R ENVY

I rebled the brakes, put new pads, and had the rotors turned. Everything is OK now. Thanks.
Old 10-16-2004, 05:53 PM
nightrider00R

Originally Posted by fgfournet
I rebled the brakes, put new pads, and had the rotors turned. Everything is OK now. Thanks.
i'm sure you only had to rebleed the brakes or top of the fluid, but i guess those are maintenance items that need to be taken care of sooner or later.
Old 10-16-2004, 08:14 PM
George Knighton

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well.

I certainly wasted a couple of paragraphs. LOL....

Old 10-18-2004, 08:25 AM
fgfournet
R ENVY

The driver side rear caliper was stuck half open.