Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

cam questions

Old 07-07-2003, 05:13 PM
nuclearhuman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cam questions

ok guys which cams are better... the skunk2 stage 2 or the toda spec b cams. im debating between the two and cant decide. so fill me alright.
Old 07-13-2003, 07:30 AM
nuclearhuman

anybody got any input?
Old 07-13-2003, 01:11 PM
spooncivicb16b

are you going to upgrade your valve springs and retainers?
Old 07-13-2003, 01:19 PM
Snoopy
been there done that

Originally posted by spooncivicb16b
are you going to upgrade your valve springs and retainers?
you pretty much have to running either one of those cams
Old 07-13-2003, 01:53 PM
qtiger

Skunk 2 will offer peak topend power. Toda will offer higher midrange power and torque gains.
Old 07-14-2003, 11:20 AM
sunshine
Torqueless Wonder

I would go with the todas, if you got the money. I've seen one instance where the skunks chewed up the rocker arms on a b16. So yea... toda.
Old 07-14-2003, 01:29 PM
Snoopy
been there done that

i've heard of toda b's "eating rocker arms." now what exactly does the mean?
Old 07-14-2003, 01:40 PM
crxb16er

toda's camshafts are made for toda's valve springs, if u dont swap in both together u can cause damage to the rocker arms, and the camshaft u just spent a grip of money on, toda makes really nice products ( a little over priced) but follow the instructions when they say these are meant for toda valve spring/retainers, i was looking into their stroker kit for my b16
Old 07-14-2003, 03:17 PM
sunshine
Torqueless Wonder

What i mean is that the cams will literally chew your rocker arms. They will score and make grooves in them till they just don't work as well as they should anymore. As for the todas I know Dan over at godspeed will sell the todas with portflow springs. I personally haven't used the combo, but he's sold that combo for a pretty long time and so I assume that it works well enough. Otherwise he would have pulled it a long time ago.
Old 07-14-2003, 07:53 PM
crxb16er

Originally posted by sunshine
What i mean is that the cams will literally chew your rocker arms. They will score and make grooves in them till they just don't work as well as they should anymore. As for the todas I know Dan over at godspeed will sell the todas with portflow springs. I personally haven't used the combo, but he's sold that combo for a pretty long time and so I assume that it works well enough. Otherwise he would have pulled it a long time ago.
toda's products are very aggressive, the valve stroke and length almost pushes the limit on knocking the intake and exhaust valves together, so u want their double springs or another very nice set of aftermarket springs to keep up with the intense action that will be going on with ur valve train, as well as their camshafts have larger lobes that can cause interferance with some stock parts, not to mention of course they want u to buy their entire line of parts for many thousands of dollars, so choose ur parts wisely good luck with whatever company u choose.