Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

I bought a Cold-

Old 07-05-2003, 05:08 PM
ToddnMiss

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I bought a Cold-Air Intake system & Performance intake MOD kit - Did I get rippped?

Team,

Maybe I'm just a dumb blonde chick, but I'd really like to improve my car beyond "normal" without spending a lot of money (I have two small kids and can't afford much).

I'm new to improving stock cars - but my 2001 Honda Accord EX (4dr, 4cy, Black on Gray) needs something, so I ordered a rear wing ($181 delievered), had the back windows tinted ($125), am looking for a leather interior kit and a front bra. Lastly, I'll be looking for 225/45 17" wheels and I should be done.

================================================

For performance, I bought the two items from ebay:

eBay Item # 2421537401
Cold-Air Intake System

Description:
* Brand New Air intake
* Air intake dsigned maximum flow air with high performance
* Made by T-306 Aluminum Chrome Finished Intake pipe
* Air intake increase 10-15 horsepower
* It includes all mounting hardware, blue vacuum hoses and_Air Filter_
* Easy to installation, no modification needed

Total cost delivered w/insurance $39.99

================================================

eBay Item # 2422451247
Performance intake MOD kit

Description:

This auction is for a Performance Intake Resistor mod for your 1995-2002 Honda Accord AKA Performance Chip.

A second performance Intake Resistor Mod kit will be sent with your order at no charge.

All vehicles have an Electronic Control Unit (ECU) a computer chip that electronically manages and monitors your car's performance. That means that your car could go faster and get more power if you replace the ECU. This could cost Hundreds. This part will modify your stock ECU with a Timing Advance Mod Resistor. Once the Mod is installed, the ECU will read that the air coming in through the intake is cold air.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

This will give you the power that you want for your car without spending all that money
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Give your Accord that 15 - 20 HP you always wanted! I installed it on my car and truck and I will never take it out. This will fit most fuel injected Honda's (non-turbo) from 1995 and up. No tools are required and this mod will not damage your car in any way. Your car will accelerate faster and have a higher top end speed!!!!!!!!!!! Take a look at the most commonly asked Questions. Will This Void My Warranty??? NO! This Will Not Void Most Warranties . If you have a very strict Underwriter on your Warranty You can Undo this Mod in less than 5 minutes ... You can even Re-Install it later . This Leaves No Trace of Any Modification. Will This Hurt My Car , Motor or Computer etc ??? NO, This will Not Hurt Your Car or Have any Negative effect on your Motor or Computer whatsoever ... In Fact This Mod WILL actually work with your car's ECU because of the way the auto manufacturer designed it. Comes with instructions on how to Install it and it only Takes about 10 Minutes to install

Total cost delivered w/insurance: $4.45

============================================

In combo I'm supposed to get 25-35 more horsepower . . . I'd be happy with a mere noticiable increase off the line (say 5-10 more horsepower or a 10th or a second in the quarter mile).

In combo - do you think I'll notice a difference (positive) in performance for my $44.94?? Or, did I just get ripped?

Thank you,
Melissa
Old 07-05-2003, 08:22 PM
qtiger

When your resistors arrive, throw them in the garbage.

As for the intake... horsepower gains depend on quality and type.
Old 07-05-2003, 08:58 PM
AwwsChwA

25-30 horsepower (roughly 25 % increase) is out of the question with just bolt-on modifications to a 4-cylinder engine. If you were to install a quality cold air intake (we don't know what brand yours is, and there is a difference between some of em), a tube header and a properly sized exhaust, you'd be looking at about a 15 horsepower increase, max.

As for the resistors, Qtiger is right. I read up on that scam. Someone ordered 4 resistors for 4 seperate Honda cars, all the same type and trim (a civic or accord or some other, not sure). When the resistors arrived, he tested each one with an ohmmeter. These resistors, supposedly all for the same car, the same engine, and being installed in the same position, all registered different resistance values when tested. That showed pretty definitely that the resistors were just random units sold to make a quick buck to unsuspecting people. Don't put it in your car, there's no telling what a random resistance value will do to the ECM.
Old 07-06-2003, 09:58 AM
yellow civic ex
ghey slow d16 modder

the cai, assuming that it's of decent quality and size, should give a noticable difference, although not that much. it'll also give your car a more noticable growl up-top in the rpms.
as for the resistor...from what other people here just said, i wouldn't install it. also....an ecu upgrade doesn't do anything unless the car is fairly heavily modified. the stock ecu is the ideal engine computer for stock or near stock configuration.
what trim level is it?? dx, lx, ex?
Old 07-06-2003, 12:39 PM
EBPSI

Default HaHa

That resistor you bought was a waste of money. Let me guess,it said that it will deliver 20 hp all that shit, if anything it may throw a check engine light, knowing that you may have to put it in a sensor. For the cold air, you are looking at maybe 2 to 3 wheel horse power if it costed 30 bucks off of ebay. You will not see over 10 whp with that stuff. I would not purchase all that other stuff like a wing, shit for the inside of the car, since all you sound like you want i speed! stay away from all tha bullshit on ebay unless its a name brand and it' been povwen to add serious power, but cold air is a start, very small start!
Old 07-06-2003, 07:20 PM
Chris WebMaster
Talk To The Hand!

Hey from Elk Grove also..
Old 07-09-2003, 03:08 AM
ToddnMiss

I noted your name before and should have looked at where you were from - I'm a big Chris Webber / Mike Bibby fan myself (Bibby's cute).

I'm junking that chip thing-a-ma-boper; oh well $5 down the drain - guess I'll pass on my next fast food meal deal (laughter).

I'm exited about the cold air induction kit - seems like a good deal.

I got my rear spoiler in today - it looks awesome; I set it on the trunk lid and was impressed with the $181 difference. The guy accross the street is installing it for me for free (said it would take him 15 minutes as it comes with these "hole" locator strips and all he needs to do is put my "touch-up" paint on the holes to prevent rust). I think that was a well invested $181 (painted to match and fed-ex'd in less than a week - looks real sporty!).

Next step I guess will be wheels/tires - I'm sure I want Chrome rims and at leat 17" with 225/45/17 (for stock speedo) but may go up to 18's with 225/40/18's (less than 1mph difference at 100mph). Chrome is a must as my honda is Black and I think it would look the best.

Speed seems like a lost cause - besides the cold-air-intake, no-one has suggested anything for more power less than $500 . . . NOS is out of the question (I'd blow myself up). Warantee isn't too much a consideration . . . . I bought my car in August 2000 (it's a 2001) and my warantee expires in a month anyhow.

Thanks for all your help,
Melissa
2001 Honda Accord EX
4 door - 4 Cylinder (very slow)
21,500 miles as of Monday

Oh yeah, one lovely key mark on the passenger side where some kid got cute - I tried to buff it out without success . . . just noticed that this weekend (how special) - otherwise no other known scratches or dents. Missy
Old 07-09-2003, 03:46 AM
yellow civic ex
ghey slow d16 modder

well...with the direction you're going, speed is really out of the question. the extra weight and drag of the wing doesn't help any...if you get 17-18" wheels that wont help (especially heavy, heavy chrome); if you want a bit more responsiveness AND to save a little money, get 15-16" rims that are just polished (like honda rims) or painted silver or something. they'll be a little easier for your car to rotate. i gave up on the looks of my car a while ago...body kit came off, bondo came out + moulding went back...got 16" rota slips; stripped everything. turbo. fast is more fun than bling for me.
Old 07-09-2003, 04:49 AM
ToddnMiss

The wing is from 4.18-5.5 pounds (according to the instructions - varies by size; I haven't scaled mine). The rear Wing-actually probably better called a "Spoiler" is ABS Engeneered plastc OEM Standard with 4mm thickness - again, according to instructions). It has the factory look and the 3rd tail light. . . . . if 5lbs is a big difference in speed, I must slow down a lot after the holidays (smile).

If I wanted 15" wheels, I'd be best staying with with what I have - the tires are still in good shape and are 195/65 15's - the are the Michelin Energy MVX4 tires that are put on Mercedes E320/430's (though in a different size).

I gave up on speed due to the fact that if I really wanted to go fast it would cost more than just buying a fast car. I had a 1995 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC - completely stock (no chip or exhaust) that ran a 14.61 quarter mile at 91.3mph - this was with a full tank of gas, the traction control turned on and I forgot to turn off the climate control (though, I'm told at wide open throttle it doesn't matter). When manually shifted from 1-2, the car would grab 2-3 feet of rubber. With the traction control off - burn out was limited only by me taking my foot off the excellerator. . . . so, in short, to go fast, I would rather spend the $12,000 it would take to buy that car back (they're pretty cheap now - I sold mine for $13k).

Now, the goal is looks, until I can afford that G35 sedan I want badly. Until then, I need reliable transportation (I had 70k on the LSC - and it was WAY out of warantee). My '95 civic ran great for 5 years until it was stolen - that's why I went back to Honda. . . believe me, in 3-4 years I'll be looking at a G35 (I need a 4dr with two young boys 5&3).

Thanks,
Melissa

Looks over speed - but a little extra would be nice . . . . even just a tenth in the quarter mile for a reasonable price. M~
Old 07-12-2003, 05:32 PM
nate31985

you could free up some horsepower and lower end torque by investing in headers, a high flow cat, and a cat back exhaust system. i recomend getting name brand stuff, Apex'i, Greedy, HKS, DC sports and so on to get the max amt of power in this area. even though your gonna pay more these parts are tested and have been proven to add more hp than no names off ebay. Also theyll give you a better sounding exhaust system which prob wont fart or make your car sound like a weed wacker. anywayz just make sure you do alot of research before buying anything and look around to make sure you get a good deal
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
nate civic pro 004.jpg (15.8 KB, 130 views)