Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

pulled out my engine

Old 06-28-2003, 01:42 PM
crxb16er

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pulled out my engine

finally removed my old d15b6 engine to start preping for the new one coming tuesday, ran into quite a few problems in the process to it took me about 3 hours just to remove the engine, but most of the problems were just due to my stupidity and trying to take short cuts, i decided to try to remove the engine with the alternator still attached so i ran into serious problems when the engine didnt want to rotate around the brake master cylinder and it took me about 30 minutes to remove that bolt with the engine swing back and forth (plus i dont think it was a smart thing to do safety wise), ran into problems even earlier than that trying to remove the axles, no i have some serious tools to get the job done but my 32mm socket literally split in half and fell to the ground after i tryed to crank off the hub, the guys at ace hardware werent happy with me when i told them to replace it. but the hesitantly handed over my free replacement and told me to put some heat on it b4 i tried again, so i took their advice and did so, which i believe helped out, umm seriously scraped up my hands (of course this always happens), oh and all of u who ever remove ur intake manifold b4 removing the engine, there is 1 single screw in a completely different location that is a bitch to get to once everything is taken apart and falling all over the place so do this first b4 taking everything else apart, had to break some of the electrical plugs loose of their counterpart end because they were corroded and left with years of neglect to break loose, besides that it was a pretty easy time, did it by myself with no helpers so if i would have had someone else wrenching with me im sure id be alot quicker, plus the beer was flowing at the time i was working. but hey it was fun.

damage done that now needs replaced due to stupidity:
i accidentally broke off one of the bolts that the lug nuts attach to on my wheels (yes i yelled SH!t really loud when it happened), broke one motor mount bolt while trying to get it off,
broke 2 socket wrenches by putting too much torque on them, and broke that 1 32mm socket

tools i needed assorted sockets 10mm-19mm, u mostly use the 10, and 12 for almost everything so u may want to have spares when u put one of them in some forgotten place and then spend 10 minutes trying to find it,
few crescent wrenches, a little tiny one was my best friend in hard to reach places
plyers of course
assorted extensions and adapters for different sized wrenches,
1/4 and 1/2 and 3/4 socket wrenches,
32 mm socket for the hub
assorted screw drivers, a very long one with a sturdy handle and neck was used quite alot to pry things loose, a soft blow mallet also helped out with some things.
i went out and bought 2 lengths of pipe, 1 with a 3/4 internal diameter and 1 with a 1 inch internal diameter to slide over my socket wrenches for circumstances where bolts are stubborn and i was very glad i did this saved my hands ALOT. and is required for removing the hub,
u need a steel pipe, tube, weight bar, etc. to place on the bolts of the wheel assembly in order to stop the axle from turning while removing the hubs,
umm. engine hoist with 2 lengths of 5 feet of steel chain, with 2 hooks, and 1 caribeiner to hook it all together,
and i also used a wide selection of different sized monkey wrenches.
although not needed i would suggest:
a blowtorch to loosen those hubs
a pair of tin snips for nething that gets in ur way

im doing a write up for anyone wanting step by step instructions of how to pull the engine and what steps to take and in what order, especially for all u in the crx forum. so pm me if u want my lengthy write up.
Old 06-28-2003, 04:49 PM
civicon19s

dude....you obviously have no experience doing this.. Im just wondering why you think you need to do a write up?? A monkey wrench is for working on plumbing, not a car This has to be the longest and at the same time, LEAST informative post ive read on here...
Old 06-29-2003, 10:03 AM
crxb16er

lol u ever removed a crusted on hose buddy? thats all i will say to ur comment, ive replaced over 20 engines in my garage alone, i just put this engine in the car about 3 weeks ago, after removing the b16 myself, which i put in myself about 3 years ago, and i will also put the zc in myself in about 2 days, and as for the problems i ran into they were due to my cockiness in pulling the engines because i wanted to do it quickly. NOW Have U ever pulled an engine? If so please let me know.
Old 06-29-2003, 12:20 PM
civicon19s

ummm ... i PERSONALLY have done 3 swaps into 92+ civics including my own and i am also majoring in automotive tech so ive done a few at school.. here is my car..

http://www.teameci.com/version2/memb...il.php?MemID=6

maybe i know something?
Old 06-29-2003, 03:51 PM
crxb16er

ok buddy, i dont feel like starting up an agruement, but yes i know what im doing, and although u may already know how to do ur swap many others do not, so if u find my post uninformative then please move on.
Old 06-29-2003, 06:01 PM
civicon19s

yeah no problem man... save yourself the effort...check out

www.c-speedracing.com
Old 07-02-2003, 05:00 PM
PHiZ
BOOST GOD

Default Re: pulled out my engine

Originally posted by crxb16er
tools i needed assorted sockets 10mm-19mm, u mostly use the 10, and 12 for almost everything so u may want to have spares when u put one of them in some forgotten place and then spend 10 minutes trying to find it,
I think alot of us can identify with this one, they need to sell a honda socket kit, with like 10 10mm sockets, hehe.

-PHiZ
Old 07-03-2003, 07:39 PM
ambition
StillDPG

Default Re: Re: pulled out my engine

Originally posted by PHiZ
I think alot of us can identify with this one, they need to sell a honda socket kit, with like 10 10mm sockets, hehe.

-PHiZ
h: for real! 10's 12' and 14's is about all u need
Old 07-03-2003, 08:26 PM
firebane

HAH! I had to take my stupid muffler off my car. its the stock one with 225,000km on the engine.. I'm too poor to put a new one on it atm since I've had to replace the coil AND ignitor in my distributor (almost $300), but when I was lookin for what size.. to my surprise 12mm for the damn exhaust bolts. At least they made it simple enough .. 10, 12, and 14mm is easy to find.