Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

need lots of info (warning really long)

Old 06-24-2003, 01:48 PM
Cleaner13

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need lots of info (warning really long)

ok Ive been on this forum for awhile, however I dont own a honda. I have a buick grand national, but every since a new guy came in at my work that is very knowledgable about hondas and such he kind of got me hooked on maybe starting a project

warning ahead of time (forgive my ignorance for any messed up info as I really dont know a hell of a lot on these cars)

before anything is said I do not have any particular goals to this project except to have fun and learn more of what I am doing

the guy told me this engine info as a platform to start off with

he said to get a CRV engine
girdle the bottom end
put a type R head on it

now here are my ideas and little things to add and other questions to ask

are there aftermarket high compression pistons for that engine?

I wanted to put this in the lightest body possible without needing custom fabrication, can it be put in a CRX body? if not what is the lightest thing that I can put it in that it can "bolt up to"

what tranny should I use can I bolt in one from a type R?
with that tranny will I have limited slip or do you guys actually have differentials in the front of your cars(I didnt think you did, I figured it was a sealed tranny but I have no idea how the limited slip works) what aftermarket clutch to use?

any other engine have the type R head besides a type R, dont the same year preludes have the same engine or am I off with that?

I was planning on decking the head if possible for more compression and porting it at the same time, are their aftermarket valves or should I just use stockers and have them backcut?

Header( should I port a stock one or get an aftermarket? this would obviously be for a type R correct?)

Is it possible to get better gains with cams from another engine/head type (I know the RSX guys did that and got considerable gains) or should I seek aftermarket?

Would I need to use the manifold/throttle body from the CRV or is there aftermarket or should I just get them ported as well?

What injectors should I use? aftermarket or something from a higher horsepowered honda made car?

Do I need to replace the fuel pump to support any of this?

How is the engine run? do I need an engine management system or can I use a stock computer (if so what car and year?)

exhaust wise I think I will just get a custom one done, so do you think 2 1/2" is sufficient enough?

Do I need a custom radiator or anything?

I do not want the air conditioning either if that helps any.

I know I probably missed a hell of a lot cause I cant think of anything at this time, so can someone supply anything I am missing or anything that needs to be fixed or what not?

thank you very much I am very appreciative

Carl
Old 06-24-2003, 01:50 PM
Cleaner13

oh yeah, spark plugs and coil packs(distributor) what from?
Old 06-24-2003, 02:23 PM
crxb16er

ok first of all u have to decide what u want, it is very possible to put a cr/vtec engine into a crx, but is it a bolt up job, not even close, there are lots of choices for all the specific parts u can use, i guess my first question to ask you is how much power do u really want and how much are u willing to pay? u want it to be a n/a setup or are u looking to boost or shoot n2o? are u planning on doing the work urself or u planning on having someone else do it for u? any bseries engine will bolt up to a bseries tranny i believe (dont quote me on this) ur gonna want to use whatever ecu ur head is from to get the appropriate rpm and fuel/air ratios, injectors can be stock as long as ur not boosting or going into a crazy n/a setup. give me a little bit more info on what u want to do and ill let u know what is realistically expected, spark plugs and distributor come with the head that u put on the engine. u typically keep the stock manifold that bolts up to the head ur using unless u want to go with an aftermarket one, u will have to upgrade fuel components if there is a need for more fuel than the original system is capable of. let me know if u have any other questions
Old 06-24-2003, 02:50 PM
1stGenCRXer
GWAKS- Tech Geekifier

I'm just tagging this thread for my observations right now. I'll be back to answer when I have a bit more time, till then I'll just make sure the info stays factual.
Old 06-24-2003, 03:40 PM
Snoopy
been there done that

Default Re: need lots of info (warning really long)

are there aftermarket high compression pistons for that engine?
yes. check out JE, arias, wiseco

I wanted to put this in the lightest body possible without needing custom fabrication, can it be put in a CRX body? if not what is the lightest thing that I can put it in that it can "bolt up to"
not too sure on this one. i'll let someone with more experience answer

what tranny should I use can I bolt in one from a type R?
with that tranny will I have limited slip or do you guys actually have differentials in the front of your cars(I didnt think you did, I figured it was a sealed tranny but I have no idea how the limited slip works) what aftermarket clutch to use?
the type r tranny is a great tranny. it will come with an lsd stock. there are aftermarket lsd's available. quaife and kaaz come to mind.

any other engine have the type R head besides a type R, dont the same year preludes have the same engine or am I off with that?
the type r and b16 heads are nearly identical. only difference is the type r head has a mild port and polish head from the factory and different valve train. the prelude has an h22 engine. totally different.

I was planning on decking the head if possible for more compression and porting it at the same time, are their aftermarket valves or should I just use stockers and have them backcut?
again i'll let someone with more knowledge answer

Header( should I port a stock one or get an aftermarket? this would obviously be for a type R correct?)
you'll definitely want an aftermarket header. if you have the money, look into hytech or smsp.

[quote]Is it possible to get better gains with cams from another engine/head type (I know the RSX guys did that and got considerable gains) or should I seek aftermarket?[qoute]the stock type r cams are pretty good. you can go aftermarket if you're looking for more power than from what the stock R cams offer. also upgrade the rest of the valvetrain if you upgrade cams.

Would I need to use the manifold/throttle body from the CRV or is there aftermarket or should I just get them ported as well?
a complete type r head should come with i/m and tb. you can get the tb ported out a little and have the i/m port matched.

What injectors should I use? aftermarket or something from a higher horsepowered honda made car?

Do I need to replace the fuel pump to support any of this?
again someone with more knowledge can answer this better than i can

How is the engine run? do I need an engine management system or can I use a stock computer (if so what car and year?)
you can use the stock R ecu but if you want more tuning options, you can have the ecu chipped. or look into hondata or aem ems.

exhaust wise I think I will just get a custom one done, so do you think 2 1/2" is sufficient enough?
yes it is

Do I need a custom radiator or anything?
:dunno:

I do not want the air conditioning either if that helps any.
shouldnt matter. its a nice weight saving.
Old 06-24-2003, 03:46 PM
Cleaner13

thank you very much for all of the info

this setup is going to be just NA

when you say it will bolt into a crx, does that mean there is lots of custom fabrication or lots of time or what?

I am looking basically for the lightest body that this engine can be put in as easily as if it was just the original stock engine that had been taken out (if that makes any sense) any suggestions please

power wise I dont really know cause I dont know what to expect from this kind of setup, Im just looking for something fun to do and see what I can get out of it by doing as much as I can by myself, of course most machine work will be done at a shop, but I can probably port alot of these items myself and probably assemble the entire engine myself as well. Installing the engine however I am not sure if I can do that

when you say fuel components what does that actually include?

thank you very much ahead of time for being patient with me
Old 06-24-2003, 04:01 PM
crxb16er

fuel components consist of ur injectors, fuel rail, fuel pump, fuel regulator, filter, etc "just in case in forgetting something" lol, with a n/a engine ur probably not gonna have to upgrade any of this honda uses over rated parts in their fuel setups, with a crx ur not gonna get a direct bolt in swap but u can get a special mounting kit for that particular engine probably run u about 350$, but unless u want a h22 prelude engine in a rex u wont have to hack the frame or nething severe like that, just wont fit on ur stock motor brackets
Old 06-24-2003, 04:05 PM
Cleaner13

ok that sounds great

any idea what this kind of engine setup would put out?
dont include new pistons just stock bottom end with the other stuff ported/polished and bored
Old 06-24-2003, 04:12 PM
Snoopy
been there done that

http://www.importreview.com/d_2.0.html

here's a collection of dyno charts of various b20/vtecs, cr/vtecs. whatever you wanna call them.
Old 06-24-2003, 05:33 PM
Cleaner13

hey thanks alot man

by the way
the type R head is b18c5 right?

there doesnt seem to be a dyno with the CRV bottom end and that head, any idea what it could do?

by the way are those #s to the wheels? if so thats very impressive

thanks and beautiful car man