Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

engine prob

Old 05-21-2003, 10:35 AM
Phat8186

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine prob

Ok here is my prob. Whenever I drive my car for a while you know getting it up to normal operating temps Then turning her off the radiator fan does not come on anymore. It used to before now it will never come on. I have turned on the car and sat there till the temp guage went to normal and then see if the fan would come on and even shut off the car and the fan never comes on. I feel that this prob will continue to persist it will do damage to my engine cause it doesn't properly cooling it down after a hard days work you know what i mean. can anyone in the forum help me out please i dont know what to do. I would like to try to solve the prob before i have to bring it somewhere cause i couldn't fix it myself,beside mechanics mess things up and make u come back to them for stupid shit. I break it I fix it cause i know what i broke lol.
Old 05-21-2003, 11:33 AM
v4lu3s

if your engine isnt getting hot enough to need the fan coming on after you shut down it should be ok. its not as if your car is overheating, right?
Old 05-21-2003, 04:12 PM
crxb16er

my radiator fan also doesnt work any longer, it could be a few different problems, first relays can be broken, fuse can be blown, or fan motor can need replaced, i think the last issue is my problem but ill get it fixed in a week or 2 when i replace my transmission and have the whole thing apart
Old 05-21-2003, 04:23 PM
Phat8186

Well my car never overheats, like you said so i guess that is a good thing right. but shouldnt i know if the fan is working or not just for safe sake.
Old 05-21-2003, 04:53 PM
crxb16er

yah u can get an altimeter and see if ur getting any power to the wire right above the fan motor, if u are and its still not kicking in then replace the fan, if ur not getting power u need to check ur fuses and the fan relay
Old 05-23-2003, 09:17 AM
JimBlake

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hmmm. I don't know if an altimeter will tell you anything about your radiator fan. Where do you get an altimeter anyway, instrument panel of a small plane?

Try this... Take the plug off of your fan switch. It's the sensor in your thermostat housing. With the ignition on (I don't know if the engine actually has to be running), short the 2 wires together. That should make the fan turn on. If that works, then you know your fuses, wiring, relays, and fan motor are all OK.