Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

KNOCK SENSOR HELp!!

Old 06-29-2002, 01:23 PM
civicon19s

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default KNOCK SENSOR HELp!!

As yall know, i got a jdm b16a2 in my EK hatch. Im in the process of installing a JRSC and accidentally broke the stupid knock sensor. I called honda and they want $150 for a new one. My question is, how vital is this thing? Is it possible to repair it?? Any help is appreciated!!!
Old 07-07-2002, 09:47 PM
XxRONNxX
MUGEN Whore!!

Default Re: KNOCK SENSOR HELp!!

Originally posted by civicon19s
As yall know, i got a jdm b16a2 in my EK hatch. Im in the process of installing a JRSC and accidentally broke the stupid knock sensor. I called honda and they want $150 for a new one. My question is, how vital is this thing? Is it possible to repair it?? Any help is appreciated!!!
I have a spare JDM B16A block. Let me see if I can take out the knock sensor and I'll sell it to you for less. I'll get back to you on this.
Old 07-09-2002, 08:01 AM
white lightnin

Its kinda important so you might want to get a new one. Try a local junkyard. Im not sure but ohter b series knock sensors might work for you.
Old 07-09-2002, 10:45 AM
v4lu3s

ANY honda knock sensor will work...and yes it is important...unless you like LOTS of ignition retard. onc i put a working one into my h22 i felt more power than i did from an exhaust.
Old 07-09-2002, 11:04 AM
civicon19s

Hey guys, are you serious? Well, we unplugged the one on my friends STOCK 99civic SI and could tell NO differnence other than the check engine light was on. Another reply from a different forum said that it wasnt really important as long as i maintain a safe air-fuel ratio... ??
Old 07-09-2002, 11:09 AM
v4lu3s

i had a broken one and so did my gf on her gsr engine....for both of us we saw considerable improvements in power once we had working knock sensors. the knock sensor once it detects knock/pinging it retards timing to prevent it. I feel that its not worth taking a chance, and prefer to leave it in place to protect the engine from the chance of damage....if i was running a race only car i might not use one though.
Old 07-11-2002, 10:53 AM
civicon19s

I understand what you guys are saying BUT im going to have to retard the timing for the supercharger ANYWAYS so....its it really worth spending money on is my question?? Let me know
Old 07-11-2002, 10:55 AM
v4lu3s

do you want to control when the timing is retarded? or allow your ecu to adjust as it is feels it is best to do?
Old 08-19-2002, 08:43 PM
JETSPD1477
O RLY?

Originally posted by v4lu3s
i had a broken one and so did my gf on her gsr engine....for both of us we saw considerable improvements in power once we had working knock sensors. the knock sensor once it detects knock/pinging it retards timing to prevent it. I feel that its not worth taking a chance, and prefer to leave it in place to protect the engine from the chance of damage....if i was running a race only car i might not use one though.
Honda's knock sensor system doesn't work the way you think it would. It does not retard timing when detonation is detected but instead only gives a CEL, and it has to be a lot of detonation on top of that.
Old 08-20-2002, 04:02 AM
v4lu3s

Originally posted by JETSPD1477

Honda's knock sensor system doesn't work the way you think it would. It does not retard timing when detonation is detected but instead only gives a CEL, and it has to be a lot of detonation on top of that.

so what explains the lack of knock sensor CEL when my knock sensor was in 2 pieces? and hers was in two pieces....yet in both our cars there was bogging that didnt occur after the knock sensor was replaced?

Quick Reply: KNOCK SENSOR HELp!!