Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

i need advice on an 88 Integra

Old 12-25-2009, 03:42 PM
Fury15

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i need advice on an 88 Integra

I have an 88 integra RS... and about a month ago i was driving and it just cut out :sad: ... some people told me it was the timing belt so i checked that today and there was nothing wrong with it...

Does any one know what could be the cause of this?
Old 01-02-2010, 06:17 AM
Line7
Platinum Member

Could be a ton of things. Ignition coil, fuel pump, loose ground, alternator, etc.
Old 01-04-2010, 04:07 PM
Fury15

darn that sucks... lol looks like i have my work cut out for me now huh... what should i try first?
Old 01-19-2010, 06:31 PM
jeremydale

check see if its getting spark then fuel
Old 01-27-2010, 12:32 PM
Fury15

yeah it wasnt getting spark and i got it to run for one day lol then it died again.... i think it might be fuel or timing belt now... gotta get a day off and check those soon
Old 01-27-2010, 01:11 PM
Line7
Platinum Member

First of all, things like timing belt and fuel pumps are the last of things you should be diagnosing. If your timing belt ripped, it would not start again, then not start. Fuel pumps dont go as much as ignition components and relays and such.

Check for spark again. Remove the spark plug wire, then use a spark plug socket to remove the spark plug. PLug the spark plug into the wire you just removed. Holding the wire by the boot, place it close to your valve cover, or any other metal component, so it has a ground to go to. Have someone crank it, and see if you have spark.

Also check if you have any CEL codes. If you're not getting spark, inspect your cap and rotor, after removing the dist. cap. Check for moisture and oil, clean up the terminals with a file. There should be visible metal on the rotor, and terminals. If you're still not having luck, check the ignition coil and igniter unit in the distributor, using the correct proceedure from the repair manual.

To check for fuel, loosen the big nut from the fuel rail, which goes to the fuel filter. Dont crank the engine, just put it into accessory, you should have fuel coming out when the pump primes.

What did you do to make the car run?

Whats the condition of your battery/alternator? Is the engine cranking?