Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

CAI Intstall

Old 02-01-2003, 06:03 PM
clickwir
Floppy Death! noES!!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CAI Intstall

I just installed an AEM CAI in my 96 Prelude S. Pretty much everything is done... hardest part was the resonator... what a *explative*!!

The 2 hoses going into the intake... the larger one goes to the head it looks like... that one I got on fine... but the other, smaller one... I don't know exactly what it goes to... that one is about an inch or 2 too short for where AEM has the hole for it. I'm going to get a longer hose... but I need some clarification of what that hose is and if it's very important... we thought it was a vaccum hose of some sort and we have it clamped off right now.

Will it hurt if I run the car without it till the stores open tomorrow... does it have to be a certian length for proper function? Anyinfo would really help. Thanks.
Old 02-02-2003, 12:59 AM
inspyral
のんびり~(´ε`)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does your car have an air intake temperature sensor in the intake arm? If so, that's what goes in the second opening on the CAI. If not, just run the valve cover hose to one of the opening, and cap of the other one.
Old 02-02-2003, 08:09 AM
clickwir
Floppy Death! noES!!!

I'm really not too sure what it is. It's very small, thinner than a pencil. It went from the end of the intake to the other side of the intake manifold area... it was about a foot... maybe a foot and a half. It's just a tad short... I'm on my way to get another one...

Oh... it's also not all a hose. Most of it is a black hard plastic tube and the ends are grey flexable tubing. I don't know if that makes a diffrence or not... I'm going to a local shop in about 10 mins... so I'll ask them too.
Old 02-02-2003, 11:23 AM
inspyral
のんびり~(´ε`)

That sounds like the valve cover breather. The OEM one is usually a hardline with sections of reubber hose on the ends. When you put an aftermarket intake on, you usually replace it with a rubber hose. If you had an AIT in the intake arm, it would look like a small 1" sensor with some wires coming off it.
Old 02-02-2003, 03:45 PM
clickwir
Floppy Death! noES!!!

I'm not too sure which is the valve cover breather. I thought it was the larger of the 2 which was only about 5-7" long... that went to the tube coming off the new intake. If the main tube in the following picture is the one your talking about... http://www.lightningmotorsports.com/.../prelude24.gif then I think I described it wrong.

I can't find a pic of a 4th gen lude engine... but mine is the F22, non-VTEC. It's a smaller hose that comes out the top of the intake, near where that other hose attaches... but on top. It goes behind the intake manifold. If I can get my roommates digital camera I'll take a pic to try and make sure I'm telling you the right thing. I'm probably wrong like usual though.

Anyway, I replaced it and everything seems to be going ok. I haven't noticed anything wrong.... yet.
Old 02-02-2003, 06:41 PM
clickwir
Floppy Death! noES!!!

Ok, here's a link to just some pics I took tonight of the engine with the new CAI. http://www.clickwir.com/engine_pics.html

Now here's 3 pics with a redline drawn right above and tracing the path of the hose I'm refering to. The rubber hose on both ends it new, I just put it on today... the black part that makes up most of the middle is what was already there, it's just a plastic hollow tube. http://www.clickwir.com/engine_pics_edit.html

Any idea what that hose is and where it goes to? I'm just curious so I know what it is and I sure hope I didn't cause any damage by having it clamped off for less than a day. Thanks for any help.
Old 02-02-2003, 09:47 PM
inspyral
のんびり~(´ε`)

Well, according to Majestic, if that hose goes where I think it goes, then that would be "VALVE ASSY., AIR BOOST", whatever that is. It's #10 in this pic:
Old 02-03-2003, 04:15 AM
clickwir
Floppy Death! noES!!!

Yup... that's what the part looks like. No idea what it's for though. Thanks for the info. :thumbup:
Old 02-04-2003, 06:28 AM
clickwir
Floppy Death! noES!!!

Oh... I don't know if it's good or makes a diffrence.... I never was able to figure out what the CEL Light came on for... but sometime around the time of the CAI install the light has gone off. So either the light burned out h: or whatever the problem was is fixed.... right? :shrug:

Nice to report that I have no air bypass valve to sap the power... and I just drove through a pretty big rain storm for 45mins and things were just fine. It adds a nice bit of pickup and a bit more noticeable "seat pusing" torque.