Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

Civic/GSR tech help needed bad!!!

Old 01-25-2003, 03:11 AM
undrgrndhaqer
Mr. EG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Civic/GSR tech help needed bad!!!

Before you read, Your help is much needed and a technical reply would be greatly appreciated.

I am tired of dealing with this hybrid. :angry: It just keeps having problems that prevents me from driving it. It has a serious fuel problem and I need real help.. Someone who can give me some technical advise.

Its a 92 civic hatch with a 95 b18c1 in it. The problems I can think of are listed below:

1) Keeps overheating. Installed new thermostat, new aluminum dual radiator and new rubber hoses. Still overheats. Also, threw the factory fan on the new radiator and it never kicks on.

2) Running very very rich. I'm talking I put $10 in highest pump octane and I was empty in less than 40 miles. Seeing how a gsr gets at least 23 miles per GALLON. 10 dollars is a full tank of gas. Here is what I have researched so far. My tps sensor was bad, causing the jerkiness of the car. Couldn't cruise at constant speed down the road.. Either speed up or slow down. Anyways, the tps is also suppose to help adjust the fuel/air mixture. Well, after the new tps install, it seemed to be running richer. There is an inbetween now, however. When I keep a certain speed, it still sputters alot though. Probably cause its running so rich. Alright, another thing is my car has been throwing a code since the day I dropped the motor in. Its a 24. I have looked everywhere and nothing. I'm sure its the right code because I checked the dash several times. Two slow blinks and 4 fast blinks. Also, I know for a fact that my o2 is shot because of how rich it is running. Is it true that you can heat it up yourself and burn off the carbon build up? Also, when doing the swap, do you have to custom wire the o2 to your ecu? I haven't done that. Another thing is the ecu. I bought one of those supposed chipped p72's off ebay. Well sure enough, its the wrong ecu. (That is what the dealership told me. But, they also told me its an automatic ecu too.) It's suppose to be for like a 93 GS or GSR. Ran the car since day one of drop. Now that I think about it, the car has ran rich since day one too. That is probably the culprit. But there are so many other things wrong, that it couldn't just be the ecu.

3) Power loss!!!!!!!! Dramatic power loss since I installed the new radiator. I think it could be a couple things. ONe, it ran rich for such a long time that it built up on all exposing parts causing shrunken port flows and such. Also, my vtec doesn't seem as strong any more. I took it out the other day before it overheated and it feels like there is no vtec. I hear it, but the pull isn't there anymore. Trust me, I know the pull of vtec and it isn't there.

That is just scraping the top of my problems. It's probably because I bought it from some guy who I didn't even know. Came with blown transmisson (fixed), shot ecu (replaced with chipped one) and other small things that add up like injector plugs are taped (not fixed... not NEEDED)

Your help on this would be very very very appreciated as I need a car to get to and from school/work. Very important to get it running. Thanks a ton to all who can help out!
Old 02-01-2003, 10:56 PM
Bubb_Rubb
Wooo WOOOO

Check your timing and your ignition, as for the cooling problems, are you losing coolant ? make sure u get it completely full and check it periodically ....You have any codes, CEL??
Old 02-02-2003, 04:33 AM
undrgrndhaqer
Mr. EG

no codes and the timing and ignition is on correctly. I believe my ecu is the culprit as for fuel problems and the cooling problem i believe is caused by my thermostat not opening in which is causing my fan not to turn on.
Old 02-02-2003, 08:47 AM
MrFatbooty
Wannabe yuppie

Cooling problem is definitely from your thermostat. Your ECU does soundn like it's causing most of your driveability problems. What you should try to do is find an ECU out of a '94-'95 GSR, that will run the car perfectly. The fact that you don't have any codes leads me to believe that either you have no wiring issues, or you have a really badly chipped ECU that disregards error codes and doesn't turn on the CEL (some have been known to do that).
Old 02-02-2003, 09:55 AM
-KangaRod-
Captain

vtec won't engage without some of the sensors functioning properly. I know TPS is one of them. So VTEC itself may not be working (if your tps is bad)
Old 02-02-2003, 11:07 AM
undrgrndhaqer
Mr. EG

It does throw one code, but I can't seem to find it anywhere. The ecu I have found out, came out of a 93 automatic gsr. That right there should be causing most of my problems. I have managed to find one on the internet from a guy for 235 shipped to my house. I plan on receiving that ecu later this week. As far as the code. It throws a 24. Two long blinks, then 4 short blinks. I check the ecu coding by looping a wire on the ecu. For the thermostat, I still havent checked it but someone has told me that they have different activating temp levels and that maybe mine is one that is set too high. Im going to go and replace the one I have now with another one later this week and hopefully, that will solve the problem. Any other suggestions are welcome.
One other problem that i've noticed, is that even though the new tps is installed, and it does have an inbetween (I can stay at a constant speed) but when I do stay constant it sputters. The constant is not smooth.
Thnx for the help again and later
Oh, the vtec still works... It just doesnt feel like much power is being gained from it anymore, but that may be because of the carbon buildup from running rich for so long.