Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

reseting ecu

Old 01-15-2003, 10:08 AM
spooncivicb16b

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default reseting ecu

my friend has a 96 gsr and i told him he should reset his ecu but he thinks hell loose power. im pretty sure this isnt true. but any opinions would be great.
Old 01-15-2003, 10:49 AM
clickwir
Floppy Death! noES!!!

Why is he being told to reset his ECU? Problems?

The ecu is reset whenever the battery is disconnected... so if you loose power everytime you change the battery, that's a pretty lame setup. As far as I know resetting the ECU won't hurt anything. ECU is just a computer... does turning your computer off at night make it slower the next day? Not mine.

From what I understand, OBD-II will "learn" what mods you have and adjust for them to be basically eliminated. Resetting the ECU will make it forget and get that power back. Untill it relearns which is a couple hundred miles.
Old 01-15-2003, 12:10 PM
spooncivicb16b

do you know if his check engine light will go off cause he got rid of that stupid gsr intake manifold and got the skunk 2
Old 01-15-2003, 12:40 PM
inspyral
のんびり~(´ε`)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If he's getting an IAB code and he resets the ECM, chances are the code will come back.
Old 01-15-2003, 05:09 PM
ZiviCase10287
RacinMasonC

if check engine light goes on best luck is to get it on the computer at a mechanic shop or try to figure it out yourself by looking at the ecu and seeing how much times the light blinks.... my check engine light went on and it was cuz of the O2 sensor, that could be it but theres a lot of things that it could be other than that.... if your buring rich then its probably the O2 sensor.