Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

any quick temporary fix for bad rings?

Old 01-14-2003, 09:24 AM
SoichiroH

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default any quick temporary fix for bad rings?

my rings are shot, shooting major dark smokescreens after hitting VTEC and beyond. I was told my rings are "collapsing" My friend said if I go with 15-40 oil, it might not smoke as much. Any other suggestions for a temp fix? I don't have time to get new rings/pistons for my motor, but for the past couple months, I've been going through 2-3 quarts of oil a week(if I drive the hatch consistently) any help would be appreciated. thanks
Old 01-14-2003, 09:31 AM
inspyral
のんびり~(´ε`)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Read this:
http://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=347130
Old 01-14-2003, 02:14 PM
Bakeoff
wooooo woooooooooo

My d15 was doing that for a while. I threw in 20W50 and it slowed down a ton. At least long enough that I coudl scrape together enough to get a new engine and the **** to swap it out.
Old 01-15-2003, 05:15 PM
vermsta

Black smoke= fuel = blue smoke=oil= and white smoke=water.
If your blowing dark black smoke your losing raw fuel out the tail pipe. Is your car running really ****ty?
Old 01-16-2003, 08:39 AM
SoichiroH

Originally posted by vermsta
Black smoke= fuel = blue smoke=oil= and white smoke=water.
If your blowing dark black smoke your losing raw fuel out the tail pipe. Is your car running really ****ty?
Well, because of the immense amount of smoke that comes out of my car after 4500rpm's, I really haven't punched it to see how it runs. A couple of times I went to 8k, and it felt fine despite the smoke. The smoke gets darker as I push the gas pedal harder. The car "feels" fine, but I've pretty much narrowed it down to worn rings, but if there;s something else I should check, let me know! thanks...
Old 01-16-2003, 12:26 PM
inspyral
のんびり~(´ε`)

Have you done a compression or leakdown test? Do a compresssion test. If you get low compression on one cylinder, drip some oil in that cylinder and retest. If compression goes up, the rings are gone, if it stays the same, your valvestem seals are gone.
Old 01-16-2003, 01:30 PM
SoichiroH

Originally posted by inspyral
Have you done a compression or leakdown test? Do a compresssion test. If you get low compression on one cylinder, drip some oil in that cylinder and retest. If compression goes up, the rings are gone, if it stays the same, your valvestem seals are gone.
Here's what happened. The shop did a comp test and it read 200-205. But after they would start the car and drive it around, do the compression again, it would be 180ish. But if they let the car sit, and do the comp again, it would read 200-205. The mechanic told me that it's collapsing rings, but we didn't add any oil to the cylinders to see. Funny thing is, my car was at the shop getting some R&R on the head, but after the head was reinstalled with new seals and everything, my car started smoking. It's a long story...
Old 01-16-2003, 03:48 PM
inspyral
のんびり~(´ε`)

Did they do a leakdown test?
Old 01-16-2003, 05:15 PM
vermsta

That's sounds like pretty good compression to me, almost a little high really, but I don't know what the speck is on your car. I really wouldn't think with that high of compression you are burning oil that bad. Like I said dark black smoke is raw fuel you might want to look for a vacuum leak, maybe the m.a.p. sensor is not correctly hooked up, and it's signaling a rich command, and it's just dumping fuel into the cylinders. From my experience everytime I've seen a car run funny after i've worked on it and it's blowing black smoke out the tail pipe it's always due to a vacuum leak or the m.a.p. sensor came unplugged or lost it's vacuum source.
Old 09-18-2023, 03:44 AM
fahad01

Temporary fix for bad piston rings. 100% works. Read Here