Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

Gen 1 Integra Swap

Old 06-17-2002, 09:41 PM
Gearhead

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gen 1 Integra Swap

I just purchased a '86 Integra. The engine code on the radiator support says D16A1. It's a DOHC non V-tech with the brown valve cover. The car has 257,000 mi, and I don't think the head has ever been off. So far I have $185 in the car. $150 for the car, and $35 for a battery. It runs on 3 cylinders until around 3k rpm. I haven't even run a compression test yet, but I'm thinking of putting something JDM in it anyways. What have you guys seen in these old dogs and what would you recommend.
I'm thinking something turbo. I'm actually a rotary guy from way back and a professional rotary tech, but this Honda thing is a little new to me. I guess you could say I'm "outta the loop." I like the idea of the H22 with a little boost, but I'm not sure I have a long enough pry bar for that . I have a lift in my garage, welder, plasma cutter, bender, etc. so I'm pretty much equipped to do whatever. I just need some ideas. My X-Wife had a '95 Ingegra B18 something or other (DOHC non v-tech), and it was a very strong reliable engine. I worked on it rarely... which says good things about that engine series.
I have searched this site and a few others, but I can't seem to find anything on such an old car. I have done plenty of Mazda swaps, but I don't know the mount, bellhousing, and wiring differences. Mount and wiring I can get around. Are all the bellhousing and input shaft configurations the same? How about axles? What are the differences between the D and B series? What is this infamous ZC? What can I read into the suffix ie A1, B1 etc?
If you old hats could just point me in the right direction I'd be most appreciative. I would also use the search function if someone would be so kind as to give me a good key word to use. I haven't had much luck.
Thanks in advance,
Don.
Old 06-17-2002, 10:36 PM
qtiger

Okay. First off, its VTEC. No h.

Your car is a pretty uncommon swap (I've never seen pictures of a hybrid DA), so you might be mostly on your own.

From a couple minutes of research, it looks like the D16A1 is nearly a direct bolt in into the 84-87 Civic/CRX.

Given that, it may be possible to use HASport or Place Racing mount kits designed for the Civic/CRX, or some combination of those mounts and your mounts, to put a B series engine in your car. However, HASport's site is down at the moment, and Place Racing is changing their site around, so I'm not entirely sure and there is no real good way to research. The Civic/CRX shift linkage is a little shorter than the 1st gen Integra, so you would need to make a custom shift linkage.

Any B series motor will do, though you'll want a cable transmission. Non-VTEC would be slightly easier simply you wouldn't have to run wire for VTEC, but not that big of a deal.

A H series swap would require SERIOUS modification, and you would be pretty much on your own for motor mounts.

The ZC motor was in 88-89 JDM Integras, and has only a hair more power than your motor. The only real gain you'd get would be slightly more common mods.

Last edited by qtiger; 06-17-2002 at 10:39 PM.
Old 06-18-2002, 06:36 AM
Gearhead

Sorry about the H. I was half asleep when I posted that. Don't know what I was thinking.
So are all the bellhousing bolts etc different? Will the tranny have to come with the motor? I'm more familiar with RX7's and with them the bellhousing stayed pretty much the same from the early RX2's (73ish) all the way to the last gen RX7 (95). You just have to change the flywheel on them due to different clutches. How about wiring? Are all the motors pretty much wired the same except that sometimes a few wires have to be added or extended? With RX7's it's a pain.
Don.
Old 06-18-2002, 07:14 AM
qtiger

You would need a B series tranmission to go with a B series engine, if that's what you are asking. All the common B series engines (There's a couple bastard children that may or may not violate this rule) use the same flywheel, but clutches differ between cable and hydro. Different product numbers, at least. :dunno:

Wiring... not sure. Found a couple wiring charts, but nothing with your engine on it.

http://www.hasport.com/85-87_Si_SiR_...conversion.htm

That has the 85-87 CRX Si and the 90-91 b18a on it. I'm assuming that your wiring is similar to the CRX's, but that is just a guess.

The easiest swap would be 90-91 b18a, 2nd generation Integra engine. The 92-93 b18a makes a little more power (140 hp vs. 130) but you'd likely need to replace all the electrical stuff (Injectors, ECU, distributer) with the 90-91 stuff. 1.8 liter engine, non-VTEC. It is also the highest displacement swap which could be done with the minimum of fuss.

Sorry I can't be of more help or give definitive answers instead of educated guesses, but as I said, this is a really rare swap. Most people go with the CRX Si of the same generation because of weight differences.

http://www.hasport.com/contact.html

That's HASport, who makes motor mounts, conversion wiring harnesses, etc, for B series swaps into the CRXs. They might have the answers you want.

Also you might try http://www.g1teg.org