Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

Expansive knowledge needed.

Old 12-17-2008, 11:18 PM
Mack73

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Expansive knowledge needed.

I've been driving a 1973 Mustang to work for about 4 weeks. After crunching the numbers, I found that I could take out a $2,000 loan to buy a Civic and use the fuel savings to pay the car off in 6 months. I hated the idea of owning a non-American car.

Test drove a 1994 Civic. Less than 24 hours later, that Civic was in the driveway, my '73 was in the garage awaiting restoration, and my 98 GT convertible was sold. I've had this Civic less than 2 days and know without doubt I will be in love with the Civic the rest of my life. I've come around, so to speak. Now the questions.

I've always dealt with pure muscle. The 1973 Mustang I drove to work every day was a Q code (351 Cobra Jet), with a 4spd/Hurst toploader. I could probably fit the entire civic in the Mach 1's engine bay. I'm not used to this car, certainly I miss the horsepower, but from the feel of the car, I think there's possibilities here. I doubt I can get the Civic into a condition where it could take on the Mach 1 (she's pushing over 500hp), but I can definately do better than what she's got. (Feels like 90-110, making it only after 3600 RPMs). As I'm sure you're aware, old muscle didn't have alot to do with technology. They were bricks, solid, dependable, easy to work with. This Civic is like playing with a toy car. What can I do to get her around 300hp? I figure I'll be looking at an engine/tranny swap, but I can't imagine a tiny car like this Civic making over 250hp without heavy mods. All the same, after driving her awhile, I'm still amazed at the Civic and pissed off that I didn't try one out sooner. So here's what I got, where should I start?

1994 Civic EX Coupe (2dr)
D16Z6 engine
Cold air intake
Short Headers (is there any other kind on a car this small?)
Short Shifter
Annoying Exhaust (the pissed-off-bumblebee-kind)
Custom bodywork (kid I bought it from did his own fab. Custom molded and excellent installation. Shaved door handle on pass side with no latchwork.)

Now on a '73 I'd be looking at bore/stroke/carb/jets/cam/rods and whatnot. The only computer in the car is the one that controls the analog clock. I don't have a clue where to start on a car that's as much technology as engine. I'm over 30, so I can afford to blow through a few thousand in savings, but I'll probably save up for most of it as I have quite a bit of patience.

I'm working on misconceptions here, but if I were to build up the compression it might help out, but can I do it without blowing the engine? Can these motors take that kind of treatment? Ram air induction works great with gas-air hungry monsters but on a Civic? Ignition/timing pose problems as there is limited engine space and I'd be replacing one tech component with another. Carburation wouldn't seem to be relevant, nor would changing out jets. Never heard of a civic stroker, but the point of a civic is efficiency, isn't it? I don't want cheap fixes that'll give more HP at the expense of heavy mileage. Must be a happy medium here. Afterburn? MSD? Reargears are almost as important as the carb on a muscle car, how important is it on a Civic? Seems that focus changes when looking at a Civic and a Mustang, but they operate on the same principals.

Bumper to bumper, your thoughts would be appreciated. Let your knowledge shine. I don't do stickers to add HP, just ingenuity, determination and elbow grease. I'm a newbie to the Civic family so play nice, plz.
Old 12-23-2008, 06:08 PM
Fuse

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have a d16z6 you are starting out with one of the best d sohc motors. Your trans is already geared down compared to the rest of the ds. Don’t worry you can chip the p28 ecu and adjust fuel and timing much like changing jets/power valves in the carb and springs/weights in the distributor. Easy just strokes of a key board.

You need to look into a turbo to push 250hp. You just go big fuel pump bigger injectors and tune. The motor will hold up no mods just make sure you find a good tuner. Or if you do it yourself run about 11-12 af ratios on boost and about 1 to 1.5 degrees retard per psi. You can only push about 9-10 psi before the stock map sensor pegs a 5 volts.

Don’t worry about msd and all that the stock ignition system is good for about 400hp. Just close the gap on your plugs a bit.

I to am a converter I used to run v8s. Hondas are not hard just pick up a book or 2 at your local book store to get the hang of it.

The pgm-fi works like this looks a map (manifold absolute pressure sensor) and engine rpm. If you are running vacuum your throttle is closed. Injects less fuel and adds ignition timing. Much like a carb with less air running threw and vac advance full on. Less vacuum more fuel less advance. Just like a carb with more air and vac advance off. As engine rpm increases more fuel more timing. Not that much different then your mach 1 set up.