Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

has this been done before?

Old 10-15-2002, 12:10 PM
More&Faster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default has this been done before?

ive heard indirectly that people have swapped suzuki hayabusas into cars, but ive never actually heard someone specifically doing that. i was thinking of putting one in a first gen crx. its about 150 pounds lighter than the stock d-series powersplant, and about twice as strong.

i figure i would do it like this: place the engine in the engine bay mounted longitudinally, so that it can connect directly to a longitudinal driveshaft going rearward. then get the rear end off a third gen 4wd civic wagon and modify it to use beefier driveshafts, and a torsion limited slip. the shifter would use buttons mounted on the steering wheel to control the six speed semi-auto tranny. then to put the icing on the cake, i would put a nice T3/T4 turbo on that beast and crank it to the tune of 300-600 horsepower, depending on what that requires. what could be cooler than a 400 hp, rwd, 11,000 rpm, turbocharged, 10 second crx? nothing. thats what.

so what do you guys think? besides the fact that its a huge custom job that would require countless custom parts and welds, i think its pretty feasible. another option would be to make it a mid engine by putting the engine right behind the seats, but it might be a little light in the front. who knows....
Old 10-15-2002, 12:53 PM
LocaL raCer
R.I.P. Kato-san

i doubt it....
Old 10-15-2002, 12:56 PM
antarius
Large Member

Torque becomes an issue.

Rather, a lack of it.

I have seen it done though. Alot of race teams do it in those little tiny indy lights cars and such.
Again, torque is an issue.
Old 10-15-2002, 02:03 PM
Andy
Hybrid Forum Moderator

Default What's up?

What are you planning to use for a transmition? The bike tranny is setup for a chain drive (I believe, never looked at a hayabusa) and obviously even a 3rd gen rwd diff won't be. A better choice would probably be the S2000 diff anyway, I doubt you'd find parts and be able to make the old wagon diff strong enough.

Basically, it boils down to why. For what you'd have invested in getting the engine installed and running you could probably afford a much nicer newer car, put a powerful B or H series engine in it and run just as fast (although you would be fwd). A better option would probably be finding a way to mount a B18C1 in the back of the car and make it work. Seeya.

'06 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Stock, for now
'98 Civic EX - CTR headlights and grill, Kosei K1's, for sale
'90 240SX - SR20DET that will never get installed, project car.
Old 10-15-2002, 08:03 PM
red92s

I'd only consider it if you were planning on building a tube-frame, open-wheeled, fully custom auto-x car. Just FYI, our FSAE car (similar to what I described) uses a CBR600 F4i engine, and cost nearly $40,000 to build. Save your pennies.
Old 10-15-2002, 08:19 PM
dubcac
I

If some way you could fab it up, you'd have to be making a lot of torque to get the car moving, Now a boosted hayabusa setup can be enough, but it's going to take so much $ in parts and custom fabrication it's ridiculous.
Old 10-15-2002, 08:48 PM
More&Faster

what FSAE team are you on? ive heard quotes on ours as high as a million dollars i guess thats including labor, R&D, parts, and everything else that can be piled on. ya we use the F4i as well, its a good engine. as far as the transmission, i was going to just run a chain to the driveshaft. no need to use a honda tranny. as far as the rear end, i havent really looked at it closely yet cause my rex is up in cleveland right now, but im sure that it can be done with enough machining. ive just been thinking about this hybrid lately and thought it would be nice to share. i gotta say that the torque would be a problem at the strip, but once the car is rolling, who needs torque? ive got revs and plenty of em! god i cant get over it. this car would be ridiculously fast!
Old 10-16-2002, 07:32 PM
-KangaRod-
Captain

The most FSAE teams are allowed to spend is $250,000...
and some Universities do. I heard Cambridge gets engines so teched out from Honda, that they arn't even on street bikes yet. They make like 150 horsepower from a 610cc engine, with to cap it all off, a 20mm restrictor plate. Sheer insanity, thats F1 style specific output. What University do you guys go to?
Old 10-17-2002, 07:37 PM
More&Faster

wow thats AMAZING. im at OSU and from what i hear, our engine is one of the best in the country, and we're making like 75 hp or something like that. i think our 0-60 is 3.2 seconds. but i think those 150 hp powerplants you speak of must be turbocharged. and thats aloud in SAE, but for some reason we dont do it. our F4i for this year is untouched as of yet but i guess we're sending the crank to get knife-edged right now, we get forged pistons for it to raise the compression to about 14:1 (but thats with 100 octane race gas). also i hear we run stock cams, which is interesting. i think where our competiveness comes from is the large number of carbon components we use. anyways, its nice to know there are other FSAE guys on the forum. peace
Old 10-17-2002, 08:46 PM
-KangaRod-
Captain

Wow, from what I hear my University (University of Manitoba) isn't really that competetive, but thats ok, because its only my first year. I'm not even allowed to work on the competition car yet, but I am the brakes guy on a spare we are putting together, so I'd be intrested in talking to any brakes guys you have. As well, we are looking for a diff, maybe you could get in touch with me to see if we have any parts you are looking for or something...
(kanga_rod@hotmail.com)
I'd be intrested in hearing from you anyway.