Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

need total timing

Old 09-10-2007, 03:40 AM
exit8

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need total timing

i'm installing a f.a.s.t. standalone into my civ w/boosted gsr but i got insturction from someone that i need the total timing to set the distibutor. i know the inital timing is 18 but i need the total
thanks
Old 09-10-2007, 10:43 AM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

The number will vary depending on the engine, setup, IAT's, available gasoline octane, etc, so total timing should only be determined on a dyno.

Why F.A.S.T. when there are so many other cheaper and more user friendly options geared toward Hondas?
Old 09-10-2007, 04:12 PM
exit8

because the fast is from a friend and its cheap, got an experieced tuner and it was there but do you know what the stock timing is, i wanted somthing as a base line. for now i have a stock b16 with a t4/t3 on it. this is just a motor i can tune the comp on so there is no chance of damaging my worked gsr. someone told me to set the total timing at 50 but that didn't sound right so i wanted a second opion
thanks
Old 09-10-2007, 04:35 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

I can tell you right now that it will be more headaches than it is worth. And how cheap are we talking? Honda ROM editors have maps already built in so you don't have to reinvent the wheel, which is exactly what you are trying to do using domestic engine management on a Honda.

To answer your question, total timing on a stock B16 is about 25 degrees BTDC in both non-vtec and vtec maps at 8000 rpm and 0 psia. I don't know exactly what you are trying to accomplish with these numbers but if you are trying to do what I think you are, this isn't going to end well. :noes:

Last edited by Provocateur; 09-10-2007 at 04:39 PM.
Old 09-11-2007, 12:59 AM
exit8

thanks for the vote of confidants but i plan on having a computer getting the best of me. but for real thanks