Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

AEM PnP or Apexi PowerFC?

Old 10-13-2002, 06:41 AM
TheRooster
Former Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AEM PnP or Apexi PowerFC?

The shop I dropped my car off to told me that the AEM base maps might not be enough for them to work with starting out. Something about the car not being able to start. While I don't think this is entirely the case, they're suggesting if it doesn't work, that they would set up the Apexi PowerFC instead. They said its a lot easier for them to tune, etc etc. What are the major differences between the two? I'm pretty familiar with all of the options that the AEM has, but I haven't read much into the PowerFC. Would I still be able to hook it into my laptop? Does it have automapping features and learning modes? How is the interface as far as operating goes?
Thanks for any insight.
Old 10-13-2002, 07:10 AM

I have heard really good things about the power FC but I don't see why they are having a problem with the AEM box. What is the car doing or not doing?
Old 10-15-2002, 06:22 AM
TheRooster
Former Senior Member

Originally posted by Redcivic
I have heard really good things about the power FC but I don't see why they are having a problem with the AEM box. What is the car doing or not doing?
It was just a hypothetical situation posed to me by the guy, I guess. He said they've hooked the AEM up to cars before, and the base map is inadequate to even start it and get it idling. Like I said, I haven't done any research on the PowerFC so I don't know what it's deal is, what it costs, or anything. I was pretty sure it wouldn't hook into a laptop though and automap, like the AEM does/is going to do in firmware updates.
Old 10-15-2002, 06:35 AM
qtiger

They'd rather do the PowerFC because then you can't tune it. You have to purchase software for the PowerFC.

Stick with the AEM. Almost all cars will start with the base maps, and if not, go on AEM's EMS forum and pick yourself up a new tune out of the calibrations section. A lot of people have posted the tunes from their built motors, and you should be able to find some fuel settings that will start your car.